Old 21-03-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default begonia tuber broken

Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and I
was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main one,
and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in pots,
what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Old 21-03-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and I
was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-03-2009, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

Do you need to dust the cut surface with sulphur or some other fungicide?
Also, don't you need to have a bud on each chunk?

--
Jeff

Old 22-03-2009, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off the
main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put them
in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse
after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

Do you need to dust the cut surface with sulphur or some other fungicide?
Also, don't you need to have a bud on each chunk?

I didn't, i let it dry, and yes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-03-2009, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sheila" wrote...
Hi, was taking out my begonia million dollar passion tuber to

repot, and
I was just seeing if any part of the tuber was going to come off

the main
one, and lo and behold the darn thing broke in two.....I have put

them in
pots, what are my chances of success, if any, thanks

Excellent.
That's how I have increased the one I got from my mothers greenhouse

after
she died (in 1993), by cutting up the tuber into chunks.

Do you need to dust the cut surface with sulphur or some other

fungicide?
Also, don't you need to have a bud on each chunk?

Yes, you are spot on.