Old 22-03-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper rings for slug control

I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
Does anyone have experience with them? Any advice?

R.

Old 22-03-2009, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
| I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
| made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
| Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
| the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
| Does anyone have experience with them? Any advice?
|
| R.

Might be worth you watching this before investing too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CuWtYK0xQ

Old 22-03-2009, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:24:31 -0000
"Angela" wrote:

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
| I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
| made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
| Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
| the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
| Does anyone have experience with them? Any advice?
|
| R.

Might be worth you watching this before investing too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CuWtYK0xQ

Thanks, but I wasn't planning on 'investing' (bit of old copper pipe and
the use of a hammer so far). I'll let the experiment continue then, and
report back. Not quite so hopeful now though...

R.

Old 25-03-2009, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, copper does work - it gives a slight shock to the wee beasties. I even
lined the rim of my wooden planters - nary a slug last year. Even mice
avoid copper, truly! I used to get them "ringing" my rose branches, but not
a bite since I circled the roses, at ground level, with copper. It's
certainly worth a try. I've seen many people recommending copper over the
years.

Old 25-03-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Most people want more coppers on the street too.
--

Martin

Around *your* neighbourhood no doubt. You must be at least eighty years old
for "jokes" as above, poor thing. I suppose you've just discovered the
Internet and like to see your inane remarks in print. There's always one
spoiler in a group - you must be it. You are now kill-filed, so don't bother
to rush to reply.

Old 26-03-2009, 03:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Angela" wrote:

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
| I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
| made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
| Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
| the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
| Does anyone have experience with them? *Any advice?
|
| R.

Might be worth you watching this before investing too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CuWtYK0xQ

Thanks, but I wasn't planning on 'investing' (bit of old copper pipe and
the use of a hammer so far). I'll let the experiment continue then, and
report back. Not quite so hopeful now though...

R.

I tried it once to no effect -- they still got past and munched my
runner beans right to the ground :-(

But on reflection, ISTM that to give them an electric shock, there
needs to be cell a formed from two dissimilar metals. It is possible
that some but not all soils provide the other "metal" and maybe
concrete, as shown in the film, doesn't. I wonder if it would be worth
trying concentric rings of copper and something else, e.g. a tin can?

Chris
Old 26-03-2009, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Angela" wrote:

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
| I've seen these advertised, so I'm experimenting with home-made rings
| made from copper round some of my herbaceous plants.
| Now the rain is forecast to return (North Cumbria), I'm expecting
| the damn things to be at my lupins any day.
| Does anyone have experience with them? Â*Any advice?
|
| R.

Might be worth you watching this before investing too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CuWtYK0xQ

Thanks, but I wasn't planning on 'investing' (bit of old copper pipe and
the use of a hammer so far). I'll let the experiment continue then, and
report back. Not quite so hopeful now though...

R.

I tried it once to no effect -- they still got past and munched my
runner beans right to the ground :-(

But on reflection, ISTM that to give them an electric shock, there
needs to be cell a formed from two dissimilar metals. It is possible
that some but not all soils provide the other "metal" and maybe
concrete, as shown in the film, doesn't. I wonder if it would be worth
trying concentric rings of copper and something else, e.g. a tin can?

Chris

Interesting. The thought occurs to me that it might work in an acid
soil (like mine), but not in neutral or alkaline. An electrolyte
will certainly be necessary, water will probably do well, hence the
failure of tape on dry concrete.

Well, as I said, the experiment continues. No slugs so far, even under
a nearby slate laid for the purpose. They'll be here soon though...

R.

Old 26-03-2009, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:

Interesting. The thought occurs to me that it might work in an acid
soil (like mine), but not in neutral or alkaline. An electrolyte
will certainly be necessary, water will probably do well, hence the
failure of tape on dry concrete.

The electrolyte would be provided by the slug...

Well, as I said, the experiment continues. No slugs so far, even under
a nearby slate laid for the purpose. They'll be here soon though...

Want some?

--
Rusty
Old 26-03-2009, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I'd like to see some sort of scientific evidence on if and how it works.

Just gargle on 'electrolysis'

Should keep you out of mischief for - um - well, a lifetime, if you
apply yourself.

--
Rusty

Old 26-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFellow View Post
ts.

R.
Not garden-related, but my brother had a problem with slugs and snails gatting into his cat's food dish [indoors]. He placed the dishes on a copper tray. No further problem!
Old 27-03-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 25, 10:52*pm, "noone" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

Most people want more coppers on the street too.
--

Martin

Around *your* neighbourhood no doubt. You must be at least eighty years old
for "jokes" *as above, poor thing. *I suppose you've just discovered the
Internet and like to see your inane remarks in print. There's always one
spoiler in a group - you must be it. You are now kill-filed, so don't bother
to rush to reply.

That's not nice noone, Martin is a knowledgable longtime poster, quite
young actually. He is a gardener who has a sense of humour which we
all appreciate at times especially when there are trolls and nasties
around, he can be guaranteed to bring light to the group. Don't you
have a joke over the garden fnce with friends and neighbours? I do.

Judith
Old 27-03-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

/snip/

Zinc would be favourite, as it's widely available and easily worked, and
with copper, gives a potential difference of 1·5 v.

a zinc slug?

and a current of ...?

Don't be silly - current is a function of voltage and resistance - or
impedance.

My wife asks: Have you thought of wiring LEDs to all your slugs to
light up your
garden at night.

No, should I?

--
Rusty
Old 27-03-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:

sorry, I can't quite get my mind round the concept of 'nasty beer'.
Especially as you have to empty the traps and the REfill them!

More-or-less anything in tins - and that includes kegs. (Not casks)

--
Rusty