GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Disposal of lawn moss? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181985-disposal-lawn-moss.html)

Broadback 23-03-2009 05:20 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

Sacha[_3_] 23-03-2009 05:42 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

On 23/3/09 17:20, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

Don't know if the moss killer makes this a Bad Idea but I wondered if it
could be put into a netting bag and hung up for birds to use for nesting.
Does the moss killer remain active in terms of doing harm to living
creatures, do you know? Anything on the tin?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

[email protected] 23-03-2009 05:42 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

That believing anything you read in that rag is a no-no?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 23-03-2009 05:43 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

On 23/3/09 17:42, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

That believing anything you read in that rag is a no-no?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

RAG?! The DT? Thud! It has one of the best gardening sections around,
atm.

[email protected] 23-03-2009 05:45 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

wrote:

Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

Don't know if the moss killer makes this a Bad Idea but I wondered if it
could be put into a netting bag and hung up for birds to use for nesting.
Does the moss killer remain active in terms of doing harm to living
creatures, do you know? Anything on the tin?

It's typically iron sulphate, often with ammonium sulphate. Nothing
to worry about.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 23-03-2009 05:51 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

That believing anything you read in that rag is a no-no?

RAG?! The DT? Thud! It has one of the best gardening sections around,
atm.

It used to be said that it had a good opera section, too, but those
were the only two worth even glancing at. If it's really saying that
you can't compost moss after killing it, I dread to think what its
politics and economics are now like!

Normally, Anna Pavord in the Independent is OK, though not exciting,
but she has recently said that now is the time to prune ornamental
vines! I suspect some non-gardening editor, but still ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 23-03-2009 05:56 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

On 23/3/09 17:51, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Maybe we could publish urg and make our fortunes. ;-))

Bob Pegg 23-03-2009 06:09 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:56:23 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Maybe we could publish urg and make our fortunes. ;-))

I doubt't that. URG is full of ****s who don't know what they're talking
about.

Broadback 23-03-2009 06:16 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

wrote:

Maybe we could publish urg and make our fortunes. ;-))

I doubt't that. URG is full of ****s who don't know what they're talking
about.

Not a very good post on my behalf, sorry. It was not the moss killer
they claimed was the problem, but that the composting would not kill the
live moss, hence it would spread around the garden if put in a compost
heap. Further comments appreciated please.

Derek Turner 23-03-2009 06:28 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:43:43 +0000, Sacha wrote:

RAG?! The DT? Thud! It has one of the best gardening sections
around, atm.

Not to mention the sports, crossword and bridge: it's just the politics
that I abhor :)

Derek Turner 23-03-2009 06:31 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:16:07 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Not a very good post on my behalf, sorry. It was not the moss killer
they claimed was the problem, but that the composting would not kill the
live moss, hence it would spread around the garden if put in a compost
heap. Further comments appreciated please.

IME moss produces some of the hottest composting conditions known to
mankind. I've had it reduced to ash in the middle. Do an all-in-one hot
compost in a Dalek - that will kill anything. ayer the moss with some
straw or suchlike.

Sheila 23-03-2009 06:46 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

"Broadback" wrote in message
Not a very good post on my behalf, sorry. It was not the moss killer they
claimed was the problem, but that the composting would not kill the live
moss, hence it would spread around the garden if put in a compost heap.
Further comments appreciated please.

My "block sender" button is working overtime at the moment, but very useful!

[email protected] 23-03-2009 07:07 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Not a very good post on my behalf, sorry. It was not the moss killer
they claimed was the problem, but that the composting would not kill the
live moss, hence it would spread around the garden if put in a compost
heap. Further comments appreciated please.

!!!!! That's WORSE!

Moss spores are ubiquitous, and it grows where the conditions are right.
I suppose that it MIGHT spread from live material, but most species of
moss don't. Even when digging in live, uncomposted moss very shallowly,
I have never seen it 'take'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 23-03-2009 09:01 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Having treated my lawn with moss killer I now wish to rake it. I know
from past experience there will be a lot. In the past I have added it to
the compost heap, however in last Saturday's Telegraph that was a no no.
What does the panel think?

Makes lovely compost.

The Torygraph probably knows a 'red' called Moss.

--
Rusty

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 23-03-2009 09:02 PM

Disposal of lawn moss?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

RAG?! The DT? Thud! It has one of the best gardening sections around,
atm.

You mean it *HAS* a saving grace?

--
Rusty