GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT news reader (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182050-ot-news-reader.html)

Broadback 26-03-2009 02:13 PM

OT news reader

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

Stephen Wolstenholme 26-03-2009 03:07 PM

OT news reader

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:13:47 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I've no noticed any slow down. It seems to be working at its usual
speed.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

Ophelia 26-03-2009 03:12 PM

OT news reader

Broadback wrote:
My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have
slowed down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I can't help with other servers, but my n.i.n is working as well as always.
Have you cleaned your system recently? I use CCleaner (free) and it usually
speeds things up. Just a shot in the dark:)

Fuschia[_3_] 26-03-2009 03:30 PM

OT news reader

wrote:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I've not noticed any slowdown. IMO it's excellent value.

Alun[_2_] 26-03-2009 03:34 PM

OT news reader

wrote:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I've not noticed any slowdown. IMO it's excellent value.

albasani, motzarella, aioe and x-privat provide free Usenet access

(as did individual until they thought that they were on a winner by
imposing a charge)

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 26-03-2009 03:43 PM

OT news reader

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

Mozarella.org is free, ITYF

--
Rusty

Ophelia 26-03-2009 04:58 PM

OT news reader

Ophelia wrote:
Broadback wrote:
My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have
slowed down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I can't help with other servers, but my n.i.n is working as well as
always. Have you cleaned your system recently? I use CCleaner (free)
and it usually speeds things up. Just a shot in the dark:)

I meant to add, I also use motzarella which is free.

Derek Turner 26-03-2009 05:07 PM

OT news reader

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:12:03 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

Have you cleaned your system recently? I use CCleaner (free)
and it usually speeds things up. Just a shot in the dark:)

Always assuming that the OP is using Windoze, of course.

Ophelia 26-03-2009 05:53 PM

OT news reader

Derek Turner wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:12:03 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

Have you cleaned your system recently? I use CCleaner (free)
and it usually speeds things up. Just a shot in the dark:)

Always assuming that the OP is using Windoze, of course.

I know nuffin' of these other things of which you hint!

Speak up now!!

chris French 26-03-2009 06:25 PM

OT news reader

In message , Alun
writes
.. .
wrote:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I've not noticed any slowdown. IMO it's excellent value.

albasani, motzarella, aioe and x-privat provide free Usenet access

Yup, and pretty much all the free news news servers I've tried had all
had limitations or had problems sooner or later. Except maybe NIN, but
then they probably avoided it by moving to charging a small fee.

(as did individual until they thought that they were on a winner by
imposing a charge)

I doubt that 10 euros a year sees them exactly coining it in :-)

I'm more than happy to pay a small fee which enables them to run a
reliable service
--
Chris French

Sacha[_3_] 26-03-2009 07:09 PM

OT news reader

On 26/3/09 14:13, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

Mine has most certainly slowed down. Sometimes I simply log off and go away
for a bit, returning later and hoping for an improvement.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 26-03-2009 07:40 PM

OT news reader

The message
from "Alun" contains these words:

albasani, motzarella, aioe and x-privat provide free Usenet access

(as did individual until they thought that they were on a winner by
imposing a charge)

As a university wossname, it was funded to begin with, and they only
started charging when the funding was withdrawn.

--
Rusty

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 26-03-2009 07:41 PM

OT news reader

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Derek Turner wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:12:03 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

Have you cleaned your system recently? I use CCleaner (free)
and it usually speeds things up. Just a shot in the dark:)

Always assuming that the OP is using Windoze, of course.

I know nuffin' of these other things of which you hint!

Speak up now!!

Gargle? Try "Coffee Cup"

--
Rusty

Emery Davis[_2_] 26-03-2009 08:18 PM

OT news reader

wrote:

My subscription to news.individual,net, is due for removal. AT E10 a
year it always seemed good value, though of late it seems to have slowed
down. Has it or is it my system? Also any suggestions as to an
alternative at about the same price please?

I've no noticed any slow down. It seems to be working at its usual
speed.

no slowdown on n.i.n here, either. still a good value AFAIK.

Try switching to Linux... ;) (posted from a mac, though, as it happens.)

-E