GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Riddles/sieves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182077-riddles-sieves.html)

Broadback 27-03-2009 04:55 PM

Riddles/sieves

I have been trying to get hold of a sieve/riddle that has a mechanical
option, one where you turn a handle. I have a standard "shake me" one,
but find it rather slow when I am sieving compost and leaf mould to make
compost. Unable to source one locally, can anyone recommend one
available on line, I don't want to buy one then find it insubstantial.

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 27-03-2009 05:46 PM

Riddles/sieves

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I have been trying to get hold of a sieve/riddle that has a mechanical
option, one where you turn a handle. I have a standard "shake me" one,
but find it rather slow when I am sieving compost and leaf mould to make
compost. Unable to source one locally, can anyone recommend one
available on line, I don't want to buy one then find it insubstantial.

Have a gargle for Machine Mart - you may have one locally.

--
Rusty

moghouse 27-03-2009 06:51 PM

Riddles/sieves

On Mar 27, 4:55*pm, Broadback wrote:
I have been trying to get hold of a sieve/riddle that has a mechanical
option, one where you turn a handle. I have a standard "shake me" one,
but find it rather slow when I am sieving compost and leaf mould to make
compost. Unable to source one locally, can anyone recommend one
available on line, I don't want to buy one then find it insubstantial.

Machine Mart have one, RS150 for £25.99. It is described as "Super
strong" but I would not risk it as it doesn't look "Moghouseproof"! I
want one for the same purpose as you so please keep us informed how
you get on.

shazzbat 27-03-2009 08:18 PM

Riddles/sieves

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have been trying to get hold of a sieve/riddle that has a mechanical
option, one where you turn a handle. I have a standard "shake me" one, but
find it rather slow when I am sieving compost and leaf mould to make
compost. Unable to source one locally, can anyone recommend one available
on line, I don't want to buy one then find it insubstantial.

(Goes into showoff mode). Here's one I molished earlier. -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Sheddish, no? OK, having almost a full sheet of 1" ply lying unused helped,
but it sieves a large quantity in
a short time, merely by shovelling in one end and getting a slave to turn it
by hand, and remove the big stuff from the other end.

The trolley isn't essential, a pair of axle stands will do instead, but
there was this one at B&Q which a
truck had backed into and partially squashed, so while I was there I
scrounged it. Like you do.

Steve

Dave Hill 27-03-2009 09:47 PM

Riddles/sieves

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20I%20made%20...

Sheddish, no? OK, having almost a full sheet of 1" ply lying unused helped,
but it sieves a large quantity in
a short time, merely by shovelling in one end and getting a slave to turn it
by hand, and remove the big stuff from the other end.

The trolley isn't essential, a pair of axle stands will do instead, but
there was this one at B&Q which a
truck had backed into and partially squashed, so while I was there I
scrounged it. Like you do.

Steve

I made a seive to fit a barrow using 1.5 inch roof batton as a frame
and 1cm sq netting for the body.
works well for seiving seed compost etc
You just rub the compost etc through lightly.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Bob Minchin 27-03-2009 10:47 PM

Riddles/sieves

Dave Hill wrote:
On 27 Mar, 20:18, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

[...]

Here is the video of my homemade riddle made last year for a major stone
removal task. It worked pretty well but more or less shook itself to
pieces with a few months use. Thankfully I had completed the job by then.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter001.flv

Bob

Muddymike 28-03-2009 03:39 PM

Riddles/sieves

Here is the video of my homemade riddle made last year for a major stone
removal task. It worked pretty well but more or less shook itself to
pieces with a few months use. Thankfully I had completed the job by then.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter001.flv

Bob

I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Bob Minchin 28-03-2009 04:46 PM

Riddles/sieves

Muddymike wrote:
Here is the video of my homemade riddle made last year for a major stone
removal task. It worked pretty well but more or less shook itself to
pieces with a few months use. Thankfully I had completed the job by then.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter001.flv

Bob

I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The tray/riddle lifts out for emptying

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter011.jpg

Bob

Muddymike 28-03-2009 05:27 PM

Riddles/sieves

I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The tray/riddle lifts out for emptying

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter011.jpg

Neat idea, you could make more trays with different size screens. Where did
you get the cam?

Mike

Bob Minchin 28-03-2009 06:57 PM

Riddles/sieves

Muddymike wrote:
I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The tray/riddle lifts out for emptying

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter011.jpg

Neat idea, you could make more trays with different size screens. Where did
you get the cam?

Mike

Apart from bearings and timing belt and pulleys, everything was home
made. I used a variable speed motor and a variable throw cam which
enabled me to adjust everything for optimum riddling. I had a lot of
ground to do and was getting a wheelbarrow of stones out of 2sq metres
of soil dug to 2 spade depths.
The greatest effect was when the tray was allowed to bump into an
endstop at relatively low speed. Also quite important for the soil not
to be too damp.

HTH

Bob

mark 28-03-2009 09:51 PM

Riddles/sieves

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Here is the video of my homemade riddle made last year for a major stone
removal task. It worked pretty well but more or less shook itself to
pieces with a few months use. Thankfully I had completed the job by then.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter001.flv

Bob

I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Looks good.
Heres another mechanical one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SUCIBp5hdU

mark

Muddymike 29-03-2009 10:33 AM

Riddles/sieves

"mark" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Here is the video of my homemade riddle made last year for a major stone
removal task. It worked pretty well but more or less shook itself to
pieces with a few months use. Thankfully I had completed the job by
then.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsifter001.flv

Bob

I like that, but how do you empty the lumps.

Mike

Looks good.
Heres another mechanical one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SUCIBp5hdU

mark

I have all the materials to make one of those, I see a wet weekend project
in the planning.

Whilst rummaging around on You tube I found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StU-q...eature=related

Now, how exactly does that make compost?

Mike

mark 29-03-2009 12:20 PM

Riddles/sieves

Whilst rummaging around on You tube I found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StU-q...eature=related

Now, how exactly does that make compost?

Mike

I wondered that. Found this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

mark