Old 26-03-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-03-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

Tropaeolum ciliatum

--
Jeff

Old 26-03-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

We bought a cute little grass plant, not sure of the name but the grass
is blue rather than green. It has a height of around 18 inches and
spreads by underground runner. It is extremely invasive. It spreads
worse than couch grass (twitch grass).

"Lambs ears" impressed me too. I just bought one small plant a couple of
years ago and now have divided it into hundreds of plants and lined the
entire length of the drive (about 50 metres) with the splittings a
couple of weeks ago. It should look quite spectacular when established,
but I have a feeling I may regret planting it in such large numbers.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:59:28 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

lemon balm.
If you ever go to Ardwick and see it growing wild, that's probably my
fault.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 26-03-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

I've got a Sidalcea (I think it's 'Sussex Beauty', but it was
mislabelled on sale as 'Elsie Heugh' (one plant) and malviflora (another
plant), which I privately call "Thug" because of its spreading habit.
But it's not too bad - you can dig it up and divide it.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 26-03-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Acanthus spinosus (Bear's Breeches) is one - the roots go down forever.
Phygelius capensis is another - runs all over the place, whilst refusing to
flower well after the first year. I also planted one of the larger
ranunculus (I still think it's very pretty), but it's seeding everywhere.

Spider

Old 26-03-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

I grew Phygelius capensis, but it died out. (I think that the winter
wet, and competition from Buddleias, disagreed with it.) Birmingham
Botanic Garden have a national collection of Phygelius, but their plants
didn't look invasive last time I visited.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-03-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

lemon balm.
If you ever go to Ardwick and see it growing wild, that's probably my
fault.

It does tend to block the A57 in early summer, but I have found an
alternative route.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 26-03-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

Japanese knotweed and Russian vine?

Sorry I was being flippant. For me it would also be lamium, and although
I didn't introduce it, a creeping form of euphorbia (euphorbia robbii.)

Bobbie

Old 26-03-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 10:59*am, Pam Moore wrote:

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Wild garlic without a doubt.(see earlier thread) It came diguised in a
mixed packet of small rockery bulbs given to me a present. For a few
years it behaved itself and then, in no time at all, it was
everywhere.

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! I am more
careful now.

Old 26-03-2009, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Well, I wish I knew how Birmingham BG manage it. I quite like the flowers,
but not the invasion. Perhaps a large pot is the way to go.

Spider

Old 26-03-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:
Pam Moore wrote:

Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

Japanese knotweed and Russian vine?

Sorry I was being flippant. For me it would also be lamium, and although
I didn't introduce it, a creeping form of euphorbia (euphorbia robbii.)

And in the light (or shade?) of a post || somewhere down the
a monkey-puzzle tree... _||_
\ /
\/

--
Rusty
Old 26-03-2009, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Well, I wish I knew how Birmingham BG manage it. I quite like the flowers,
but not the invasion. Perhaps a large pot is the way to go.

Well, you'd forget about it until the effect wore off...

--
Rusty
Old 26-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?
Tansy. But fortunately I don't live there any more.

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is ineradicable. And likewise a creeping Hypericum. Viburnum tinus is likewise ineradicable. A laurel hedge that doesn't flower, and has to be pruned twice a year. Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over the place.

Of things I've planted myself, no mistakes quite that bad I think.

A creeping Euphorbia, spreads, but not too far.

A Ceanothus that got too big, but I'm hoping the stump won' tbe too bad to remove.

Jasminum officianalis, put in the wrong place.

Eleagnus x ebbingei. I'd have put something else there if I'd known it wouldn't flower for me. I suppose it only has to be pruned twice a year.

But my lemon balm and acanthus mollis are struggling, and the vinca major isn't too hard to control.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I grew Phygelius capensis, but it died out. (I think that the winter
wet, and competition from Buddleias, disagreed with it.) Birmingham
Botanic Garden have a national collection of Phygelius, but their plants
didn't look invasive last time I visited.

I agree. I've had it growing for 10 years and it isn't invasive - just
slowly clumps up.

--
Jeff