Old 28-03-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Med. Plant ID

Can anyone ID this plant from the rather fuzzy photo (I didn't take it!)
It was taken in Nice about 6 weeks ago ago and apparently when rather more
alive, the flowers are very blue!
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nhe3w0.jpg
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-03-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...
Can anyone ID this plant from the rather fuzzy photo (I didn't take it!)
It was taken in Nice about 6 weeks ago ago and apparently when rather more
alive, the flowers are very blue!
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nhe3w0.jpg

First thought was an Aster but I didn't think they flower now even out
there.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-03-2009, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Mar, 18:42, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" *wrote...
Can anyone ID this plant from the rather fuzzy photo (I didn't take it!)
It was taken in Nice about 6 weeks ago ago and apparently when rather more
alive, the flowers are very blue!
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nhe3w0.jpg

First thought was an Aster but I didn't think they flower now even out
there.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Try Brachycome Multifida (Rock Daisy)
David Hill
Old 28-03-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/3/09 21:24, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 28 Mar, 18:42, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" *wrote...
Can anyone ID this plant from the rather fuzzy photo (I didn't take it!)
It was taken in Nice about 6 weeks ago ago and apparently when rather more
alive, the flowers are very blue!
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nhe3w0.jpg

First thought was an Aster but I didn't think they flower now even out
there.

Don't think so, Bob. The leaves aren't right, are they?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Try Brachycome Multifida (Rock Daisy)
David Hill

I tried them with Brachycombe and still think that's a good possibility but
they say not. I think I'll try that one again, however. Thanks, David.

Old 29-03-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Try Brachycome Multifida (Rock Daisy)
David Hill

I tried them with Brachycombe and still think that's a good possibility but
they say not. * I think I'll try that one again, however. *Thanks, David.

It looks far too strongly like one of them to dismiss that
possibility. A lot of people are only familiar with cultivated, forms
of Brachyscome iberidifolia and your enquirers might therefore dismiss
the more obviously deeply lobed leaves of this form. Both species
have similarly structured leaves, but those of many iberidifolia forms
are often so fine that at a cursory glance they can appear to be
simple and linear. With 60-odd species several are superficially very
similar, but it is Asteraceae, the leaves are pinnatisect and the
flowers are blue. It is almost certainly Brachyscome and in all
probability it is multifida. I reckon 1st prize goes to David Hill ;-)