GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Does excess Cheshunt prevent germination (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182131-does-excess-cheshunt-prevent-germination.html)

echinosum 30-03-2009 03:14 PM

Does excess Cheshunt prevent germination

Most of my chillis and all my tomatoes germinated, and none were lost to damping off. None of my sweet peppers germinated. But then when I look at the chillies that didn't germinate, it isn't the odd one here or there, it is ones at the ends of rows. The sweet peppers were also at the end of the seed tray. I had difficulty spraying the Cheshunt compound evenly. Which makes me wonder whether it was those cells that got too much Cheshunt that didn't germinate, rather than the sweet pepper seeds being crap.

Any thoughts on this? I dissolved a quarter of a teaspoon on Cheshunt compound, in 250ml (ca half a pint) of water, and used most of it for a 24-cell seed tray, which was placed in a heated propagator. I used three seeds per cell to allow for some germination failure, and 4 cells per variety.