Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Tayberry experts

Judith in France writes
On Mar 30, 6:53*pm, mogga wrote:
Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume *- not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

"The strong growers should be planted about 4m (13ft)
apart. Medium strength growers need to be planted about 2.5m (8ft)"

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!
--http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Kay is an expert on Tayberry, I seem to remember she had some in her
garden. I haven't seen Kay posting for a few days, come in Kay?

Just come back from some happy plant hunting in Portugal :-)

I'm not an expert, and I haven't a clue what I've got! I planted IIRC
tayberry, sunberry and loganberry (and I had boysenberry at a previous
house), but I can't remember which was which! No matter - they're all
much the same in the way they grow.

While they're growing, keep tying in the fruiting canes, which,
fortunately, are flexible so you can curve them down the framework and
back along the bottom, then back up and along the top again and
then..... Bundle the new canes vertically to keep them out of the way.

Once you have picked all the fruit, cut the fruiting canes at the base.
Untie your bundle of new canes and tie these in nicely spread along your
framework.

I developed an allergy, so pruning and even picking became impossible,
so am now moving over to a thornless loganberry and some thornless
blackberries. Anyone know of a thornless tayberry?
--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 5:24*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

On Mar 30, 6:53*pm, mogga wrote:
[...]

Good to see you back Kay. I'd like to know about the thornless
loganberry.

Judith
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
I'd like to know about the thornless loganberry.

Well, it's thornless, and it has loganberries ;-)
What would you like to know about it? I can't remember where I got it,
Thompson and Morgan I think, unlikely though that seems.
--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Judith in France writes
I'd like to know about the thornless loganberry.

Well, it's thornless, and it has loganberries ;-)
What would you like to know about it? I can't remember where I got it,
Thompson and Morgan I think, unlikely though that seems.

No, I got one there in (IIRC) the late 70s or early 80s.

The berries are, IMO, tastier and sweeter than the thorny variety.

--
Rusty
Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 7:30*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I'd like to know about the thornless loganberry.

Well, it's thornless, and it has loganberries ;-)
What would you like to know about it? I can't remember where I got it,
Thompson and Morgan I think, unlikely though that seems.
--
Kay

That's what I wanted to know. Like you I seem to have developed an
allergy to some things. Especially Juniper, I cannot even touch it
without a fine rash all over my hands and arms. If I prick myself on
a rose, I get a rash so I am looking at stuff that doesn't have
spikes. I will have a look online at Thompson and Morgan. As an
aside, we were in a garden centre, not a nursery, yesterday and
Thompson and Morgan had a huge display but so expensive, too expensive
so I gave it a miss. Tomorrow I am going to take cuttings of my white
petunia, hopefully I will have sufficient so that I don't need to buy
any for hanging baskets. Sorry about ramble but as you know, I like
talking over the garden fence :-)

Judith

Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 8:49*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

Judith in France writes
I'd like to know about the thornless loganberry.

Well, it's thornless, and it has loganberries ;-)
What would you like to know about it? I can't remember where I got it,
Thompson and Morgan I think, unlikely though that seems.

No, I got one there in (IIRC) the late 70s or early 80s.

The berries are, IMO, tastier and sweeter than the thorny variety.

--
Rusty

I wonder if they would deliver to France and if not, I wonder if I can
get the same here?

Judith
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:

Judith in France writes
I'd like to know about the thornless loganberry.

Well, it's thornless, and it has loganberries ;-)
What would you like to know about it? I can't remember where I got it,
Thompson and Morgan I think, unlikely though that seems.

No, I got one there in (IIRC) the late 70s or early 80s.

I meant unlikely behaviour on my part, rather than unlikely that they'd
stock it ;-)

The berries are, IMO, tastier and sweeter than the thorny variety.

--
Kay

Tayberry growing and pruning etc Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 2 21-12-2006 10:08 PM
Support for a tayberry Sueba United Kingdom 3 30-09-2006 05:44 PM
Thornless tayberry Kay United Kingdom 3 26-07-2004 08:03 PM
Is my Tayberry sick? Andy H United Kingdom 4 24-07-2004 10:03 PM
Tayberry Bush ross United Kingdom 3 06-07-2004 09:02 AM