Old 30-03-2009, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tayberry experts

Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume - not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

"The strong growers should be planted about 4m (13ft)
apart. Medium strength growers need to be planted about 2.5m (8ft)"

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 30-03-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from mogga contains these words:

Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume - not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

"The strong growers should be planted about 4m (13ft)
apart. Medium strength growers need to be planted about 2.5m (8ft)"

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!

IME around 25 ft in really good and well-watered soil.

--
Rusty
Old 30-03-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume - not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

You have several spare fields?

Old 30-03-2009, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:
Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

"The strong growers should be planted about 4m (13ft)
apart. Medium strength growers need to be planted about 2.5m (8ft)"

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!

We grow them on a 2m high fence and they can spread over 2m on either
side of the root.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 31-03-2009, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:01:17 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume - not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

You have several spare fields?

I think you'd need to define "have" and "spare"
There is a field at the back of my house which is much underused. It's
not mine though,but might end up being allotments sooner or later

Old 31-03-2009, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:42:12 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from mogga contains these words:

Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume - not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

"The strong growers should be planted about 4m (13ft)
apart. Medium strength growers need to be planted about 2.5m (8ft)"

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!

IME around 25 ft in really good and well-watered soil.

That's really promising.
Tempting to put one on the field behind if they can grow that huge.
Old 31-03-2009, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 6:53*pm, mogga wrote:
Well I've gone and bought two tayberries from poundland today.
Was quite impressed with the stock they had but the lad was just
filling the shelves so I suspect it had just arrived.

Will be planting them this week I assume *- not read the instructions
on the back but have just read they might like to be in the middle of
a field ... on their own

"The strong growers should be planted about 4m (13ft)
apart. Medium strength growers need to be planted about 2.5m (8ft)"

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!
--http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Kay is an expert on Tayberry, I seem to remember she had some in her
garden. I haven't seen Kay posting for a few days, come in Kay?

Judith
Old 31-03-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 12:36*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 31/3/09 10:59, in article ,

"mogga" wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:22:57 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

I think you'd need to define "have" and "spare"
There is a field at the back of my house which is much underused. It's
not mine though,but might end up being allotments sooner or later

snip

Perhaps you could be an early coloniser. *;-))

Well ...that's something I've already considered!
:-)

Pitch dark night, wellies, spade and torch. *;-)
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Oh have I wandered into the wrong group? is this alt.vampires? :-)

Judith

Old 31-03-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

4M apart? Just how big do they get?!!

IME around 25 ft in really good and well-watered soil.

That's really promising.
Tempting to put one on the field behind if they can grow that huge.

I had one growing along a verandah and it ran half the length of it,
turned the corner and continued for six feet.

In the autumn I used to mulch it with well-rotted goat, rabbit and
poultry manure.

The one I have ATM is about four inches long.

And Martin, I'm referring to the Tayberry...

--
Rusty
Old 31-03-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Pitch dark night, wellies, spade and torch. *;-)

sig snipped

Oh have I wandered into the wrong group? is this alt.vampires? :-)

alt.lottery

--
Rusty
Old 31-03-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 6:06*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Pitch dark night, wellies, spade and torch. *;-)

sig snipped

Oh have I wandered into the wrong group? *is this alt.vampires? *:-)

alt.lottery

--
Rusty

Oh?

Judith

Tayberry growing and pruning etc Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 2 21-12-2006 09:08 PM
Support for a tayberry Sueba United Kingdom 3 30-09-2006 04:44 PM
Thornless tayberry Kay United Kingdom 3 26-07-2004 07:03 PM
Is my Tayberry sick? Andy H United Kingdom 4 24-07-2004 09:03 PM
Tayberry Bush ross United Kingdom 3 06-07-2004 08:02 AM