GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   One Big Brussel Sprout Plant Left (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182157-one-big-brussel-sprout-plant-left.html)

Veg Mad 30-03-2009 11:00 PM

One Big Brussel Sprout Plant Left

Theres one big brussell sprout left in my raised bed, its going to
seed, anyone ever tried to grow from seed like this....never done B.
sprouts from own seed...is it easy to do....???

appreciate any advice on this one.....

Veg Mad

of www.vegetablegrowingtoday.com

Gary Woods 31-03-2009 12:07 AM

Veg Mad wrote:

Theres one big brussell sprout left in my raised bed, its going to
seed, anyone ever tried to grow from seed like this....never done B.
sprouts from own seed...is it easy to do....???

Most certainly, though it's best to have a number of plants to preserve
genetic diversity. I've done it by keeping plants over winter in a root
cellar and planting out the next spring.

Bob Hobden 31-03-2009 08:40 AM

One Big Brussel Sprout Plant Left

"Veg Mad" wrote...
Theres one big brussell sprout left in my raised bed, its going to
seed, anyone ever tried to grow from seed like this....never done B.
sprouts from own seed...is it easy to do....???

appreciate any advice on this one.....

The only problem is if the original plant was an F1. That is a first cross
between two different plants so any seed from such a plant will carry a lot
of variation such that you won't get much that is the same as the original
plant.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden