GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Managing grass with bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182208-managing-grass-bulbs.html)

rjbl 02-04-2009 08:11 AM

Managing grass with bulbs

Anyone got any useful tips for speeding up ripening of spring / early
summer flowering bulbs planted in grass land? (native daffs, bluebells etc)
The challenge is that the grass gets too long whilst we are waiting for
the the bulbs to show the obvious signs of having ripened-off and when
tis eventually cut it is not a pretty sight. We have been doing the
first cut of the embulbed areas in about June. How can we bring the cut
forward for about 4 weeks without comprising the spreading and
naturalisation of the bulbs?

Anyone got any useful ideas?

rjbl

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-04-2009 10:03 AM

Managing grass with bulbs

In article ,
says...
Anyone got any useful tips for speeding up ripening of spring / early
summer flowering bulbs planted in grass land? (native daffs, bluebells etc)
The challenge is that the grass gets too long whilst we are waiting for
the the bulbs to show the obvious signs of having ripened-off and when
tis eventually cut it is not a pretty sight. We have been doing the
first cut of the embulbed areas in about June. How can we bring the cut
forward for about 4 weeks without comprising the spreading and
naturalisation of the bulbs?

Anyone got any useful ideas?

rjbl

Take the grass down in two or even three stages in June setting the
blades as high as possible the first time, it also helps to give the
whole area a couple of close cuts in the winter/early spring before the
leaves get in the way. but what ever you do it will still not look as
good as areas without bulbs until July
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

rjbl 02-04-2009 10:16 AM

Managing grass with bulbs

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. Will do as you recommend.

rjbl

Broadback[_2_] 02-04-2009 03:31 PM

Managing grass with bulbs

rjbl wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Personally I keep an eye on Council verges where there are established
bulbs. When they cut I consider I can, often before I normally would,
worked ok to press.

Christina Websell 03-04-2009 01:55 AM

Managing grass with bulbs

"rjbl" wrote in message
Anyone got any useful tips for speeding up ripening of spring / early
summer flowering bulbs planted in grass land? (native daffs, bluebells
etc)
The challenge is that the grass gets too long whilst we are waiting for
the the bulbs to show the obvious signs of having ripened-off and when
tis eventually cut it is not a pretty sight. We have been doing the
first cut of the embulbed areas in about June. How can we bring the cut
forward for about 4 weeks without comprising the spreading and
naturalisation of the bulbs?

Anyone got any useful ideas?

I don't think you can speed up the ripening of spring bulbs. They do what
they have to in their own time. If it bothers you when your grass gets long
while you are waiting for the leaves to die down, perhaps you might consider
cutting the grass around them with shears?
That's what I do.

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-04-2009 07:00 AM

Managing grass with bulbs

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

I don't think you can speed up the ripening of spring bulbs. They do what
they have to in their own time. If it bothers you when your grass
gets long
while you are waiting for the leaves to die down, perhaps you might
consider
cutting the grass around them with shears?
That's what I do.

That's what we used to do. We had cowslips to mow round too.

A strimmer's handy...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/