GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water temperature thermostat (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182352-water-temperature-thermostat.html)

Jenny[_2_] 05-04-2009 04:53 PM

water temperature thermostat

Hi I am experimenting with hydroponics and I need a thermostat to control
the warming pads I am using to keep the hydroponic solution at the correct
temperature. What would be the best type? At present I turn the heating pad
on at night and off in the morning but I would prefer a thermostat where I
could put the sensor in the water. Something like a rod thermostat but with
a flexible sensor instead of a rod.Or would a rod thermostat be okay with
the end in the water?
Thanks, Jenny

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 05-04-2009 05:14 PM

water temperature thermostat

The message
from "Jenny" contains these words:

Hi I am experimenting with hydroponics and I need a thermostat to control
the warming pads I am using to keep the hydroponic solution at the correct
temperature. What would be the best type? At present I turn the heating pad
on at night and off in the morning but I would prefer a thermostat where I
could put the sensor in the water. Something like a rod thermostat but with
a flexible sensor instead of a rod.Or would a rod thermostat be okay with
the end in the water?
Thanks, Jenny

I'd ask in one of the aquarium groups or alt.hydroponics

--
Rusty

Stephen Wolstenholme 05-04-2009 05:49 PM

water temperature thermostat

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:53:46 GMT, "Jenny"
wrote:

Hi I am experimenting with hydroponics and I need a thermostat to control
the warming pads I am using to keep the hydroponic solution at the correct
temperature. What would be the best type? At present I turn the heating pad
on at night and off in the morning but I would prefer a thermostat where I
could put the sensor in the water. Something like a rod thermostat but with
a flexible sensor instead of a rod.Or would a rod thermostat be okay with
the end in the water?
Thanks, Jenny

A tropical fish tank heater/stat will be OK if it can be totally under
the water. Get one appropriate for the container.

Steve

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 06-04-2009 11:16 AM

water temperature thermostat

In article ,
says...
Hi I am experimenting with hydroponics and I need a thermostat to control
the warming pads I am using to keep the hydroponic solution at the correct
temperature. What would be the best type? At present I turn the heating pad
on at night and off in the morning but I would prefer a thermostat where I
could put the sensor in the water. Something like a rod thermostat but with
a flexible sensor instead of a rod.Or would a rod thermostat be okay with
the end in the water?
Thanks, Jenny

Why not use a tropical fish tank thermostat as its going in water? they
used to make a range of in the tank stats although I know the exterier
stats are more easily adjusted
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk