Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP PLEASE - What Grape Vine For New Greenhouse

Hi,

Had some much appreciated advice from this Group in the past, wonder
if anyone can offer some on what grape vine to buy.

Story is, I am about to purchase a 8'x6' greenhouse (all my plants and
propagating have been banned from the conservatory !)

The only place I can position the greenhouse is backing on to a North
facing fence, the garden (NW of UK) gets intense direct sun on the
other side of the fence from 10am to 2pm (mid Summer) and 50% at other
times of the day due to 40 ft Silver Birch trees left and right, (some
shade may prove useful?)

So, can anyone suggest :-

A) A nice sweet, thin skinned, desert grape please.

B) Do I plant it inside or outside the greenhouse (if it were to go
outside it would be in a 2' gap between the fence and the back of the
greenhouse, quite shady.

C) Soil preparation

Many Thanks.

Gary.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 10:54*am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 02:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Jon wrote:
Hi,

Had some much appreciated advice from this Group in the past, wonder
if anyone can offer some on what grape vine to buy.

Story is, I am about to purchase a 8'x6' greenhouse (all my plants and
propagating have been banned from the conservatory !)

The only place I can position the greenhouse is backing on to a North
facing fence, the garden (NW of UK) gets intense direct sun on the
other side of the fence from 10am to 2pm (mid Summer) and 50% at other
times of the day due to 40 ft Silver Birch trees left and right, (some
shade may prove useful?)

So, can anyone suggest :-

A) * A nice sweet, thin skinned, desert grape please.

B) *Do I plant it inside or outside the greenhouse (if it were to go
outside it would be in a 2' gap between the fence and the back of the
greenhouse, quite shady.

All the vines I have seen in growing in greenhouses have had the vine's roots
outside the green house and the rest of the stem inside the greenhouse.
--

Martin

I echo that, I had a vine in England and the root was outside. I
can't remember the grape name I'm afraid.

Judith
Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 03:54:13 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Apr 6, 10:54*am, Martin wrote:

All the vines I have seen in growing in greenhouses have had the vine's roots
outside the green house and the rest of the stem inside the greenhouse.
--

Martin

I echo that, I had a vine in England and the root was outside. I
can't remember the grape name I'm afraid.

Judith

Same here. "Black Hamburg".
BTW, soon much the greenhouse is taken over by the dense vine foliage.
Jiri
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

All the vines I have seen in growing in greenhouses have had the
vine's roots
outside the green house and the rest of the stem inside the greenhouse.

This is considered to be good practice.

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Jiri contains these words:
wrote:
On Apr 6, 10:54*am, Martin wrote:

All the vines I have seen in growing in greenhouses have had the
vine's roots
outside the green house and the rest of the stem inside the greenhouse.

I echo that, I had a vine in England and the root was outside. I
can't remember the grape name I'm afraid.

Same here. "Black Hamburg".

Boskoop's Glory.

BTW, soon much the greenhouse is taken over by the dense vine foliage.

Which you must prune *AT THE CORRECT TIME* if you want a decent crop.

You should really get a good book and study it. If you prune at the
wrong time the vine can bleed to death.

--
Rusty

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I recommend Muscat of Alexandria very highly. Ray has had one growing here
for years and the grapes are wonderfully sweet.

Do they have those slightly 'elderflower' undertones?

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 11:05�pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I recommend Muscat of Alexandria very highly. �Ray has had one growing here
for years and the grapes are wonderfully sweet.

Do they have those slightly 'elderflower' undertones?

--
Rusty

Thanks to ALL for your input, you never fail to impress me with your
knowledge.

Regards.

Gary.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/4/09 23:05, in article ,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I recommend Muscat of Alexandria very highly. Ray has had one growing here
for years and the grapes are wonderfully sweet.

Do they have those slightly 'elderflower' undertones?

I hadn't thought of that - possibly. I'll let you know later. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

At my request, we planted the 'Guernsey grape', Canon Hall. I remember it
as a large, juicy, sweet grape - literally one of the best going. Here,
it's marble size, sharp and gets mould every year. Perhaps it objects to
going foreign!

Might do well in moist sea air (laced with sea-salt, to deter mould)?

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
wrote:
On Apr 6, 10:54*am, Martin wrote:

All the vines I have seen in growing in greenhouses have had the
vine's roots
outside the green house and the rest of the stem inside the greenhouse.

I echo that, I had a vine in England and the root was outside. I
can't remember the grape name I'm afraid.

Same here. "Black Hamburg".

Boskoop's Glory.

Dunno what it is, but we have a vine in the conservatory which we
believe to be 100+ years old. Grapes (white) are lovely.

BTW, soon much the greenhouse is taken over by the dense vine foliage.

Which you must prune *AT THE CORRECT TIME* if you want a decent crop.

You should really get a good book and study it. If you prune at the
wrong time the vine can bleed to death.

Have to say we are a bit lackadaisical here with the pruning, but the
vine doesn't seem to object

--
Chris French

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 11:14*am, Sacha wrote:
On 7/4/09 10:33, in article ,

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I recommend Muscat of Alexandria very highly. *Ray has had one
growing here
for years and the grapes are wonderfully sweet.

Do they have those slightly 'elderflower' undertones?

I hadn't thought of that - possibly. *I'll let you know later. *;-)

I bought some very large, juicy white grapes a couple of years ago, and
they had that 'Muscat' flavour. They were supposed to be seedless, but
there was one pip I found amongst the grapes, and I planted it, in the
hope that the progent might be even half as good as the parent.

The vine might flower this year. Watch this space...

At my request, we planted the 'Guernsey grape', Canon Hall. *I remember it
as a large, juicy, sweet grape - literally one of the best going. *Here,
it's marble size, sharp and gets mould every year. *Perhaps it objects to
going foreign!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials online- Hide quoted text -

I remember that when our's got mildew, I used Vitex. I have a feeling
that was withdrawn some year's ago?

Judith

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Grape vine help... Nicole Gardening 1 31-05-2006 05:10 AM
Grape vine help... [email protected] Gardening 0 29-05-2006 04:59 PM
grape vine help M&M Australia 0 18-09-2003 10:22 AM
Advice please for Outdoor Grape vine Stuart Meier United Kingdom 3 13-06-2003 05:44 PM