GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Isn't it too early for midges? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182392-isnt-too-early-midges.html)

Gordon H[_3_] 09-04-2009 04:24 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it:) I bet that
clears your tubes:)

I've never even heard of Deet.

It's not the kind of stuff to inhale, or use in a confined space.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 09-04-2009 04:25 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Wocher bin up-to then? Riding fast with the sun behind miles of trees?

Suffering from Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD) Rusty.

Oo-nasty.

Commiz.

No more mo'bike riding, as I gave Suzie away last week. Couldn't bring
myself to sell her, so I gave her away to someone who really needs a bike,
and I know will look after her - and I can visit her when I want to...

I know the feeling.

--
Rusty

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 09-04-2009 04:26 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

snipped

Its just gone 11pm and I have come into the house to find that I have been
bitten several times, what bites at this time of night in the dark apart
from vampires :-)

kate

p.s. who else spotted the beautiful moon tonight ?

I did. Almost like daylight outside, it was.

I thought I saw an umpire flitting round, but it was only a dicky bird.

Not a Dicky Bird.

--
Rusty

Gordon H[_3_] 09-04-2009 04:28 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

In message , Kate
Morgan writes

p.s. who else spotted the beautiful moon tonight ?

I'm a bloke, and we cough don't notice such things.

It was a bit yellowish, I thought, but that might be the atmosphere,
probably explains the cough, too.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Lucretian 09-04-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries[_4_] (Post 837464)

I remember Scottish forestry workers taking high-strength Vitamin C to stop themselves being bitten

Ophelia[_4_] 09-04-2009 06:13 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 19:34:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:
Martin wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Martin wrote:

I put it on my socks.

Hmm, you don't think your sock have enough malodorous content
without the Deet? Oh poooheee:)

Things like that are readily absorbed by the soles of the feet.

The skin absorbes Deet?

Probably - it absorbs Vick, and the effect is as good as putting
it on yer chest.

You put Deet on your chest?? Heh, who would have thunk it:) I
bet that clears your tubes:)

and kills the moles. :o)

ewww

Only on Rusty's chest. Your chest is safe.

*MINE* doesn't have molehills...

Oi!

D&RFC

?

Judith in France 09-04-2009 11:07 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

On Apr 9, 5:11*pm, Lucretian
wrote:
'Aries[_4_ Wrote:

;837464']On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:22:29 +0100, Sacha wrote:
-
On 7/4/09 08:16, in article
,
"aries" wrote:
-
[4 quoted lines suppressed]-

They're out in small clouds here, Val but I haven't been bitten. *You
must
be particularly tasty! * I think the only answer is a repellent that
you
know works well for you. *I never wear perfume when I'm working in
the
garden, partly because I don't want to attract bees (I wear floral or
citrus-y scents) and also because of its reaction with the skin in
sunlight.
I don't know if you wear a perfume but if so, wonder if it might be
better
not to!-

I do wear perfume but also anti persperants and shower gels might also
be
an attraction :( * * * * * * * * *
--
What other people think of you is none of your business.
http://ariesval.co.uk/val/ http://tinyurl.com/d945xq

I remember Scottish forestry workers taking high-strength Vitamin C to
stop themselves being bitten

--
Lucretian

Really? I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Judith in France 09-04-2009 11:13 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

On Apr 9, 11:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:

"aries" wrote:
-
[...]

Maybe they used DEET?
--

Martin

"Spit" no they didn't. Is it windy chez vous tonight; It is blowing
a gale? it is here.

Gordon H[_3_] 10-04-2009 09:49 AM

Isn't it too early for midges?

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

Really? I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Maybe they used DEET?

Orange juice, eh?
On a walk during the summer months we stopped at a picnic area to eat
lunch and drink water.
On the next bench were a group of girl cyclists who were drinking orange
juice and leaping around as wasps buzzed around their heads.

I walked over to them, borrowed their orange juice, and poured some onto
the next vacant table.
Then I sprayed some Deet based fly repellent on their bench, avoiding
their food.

The wasps moved on.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 10-04-2009 11:49 AM

Isn't it too early for midges?

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Suffering from Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD) Rusty.

Oo-nasty.
Commiz.

Thanks. Main problem being that, seeing as I'm "hearing deficient"
I rely very much on my sight, for lip-reading...

No more mo'bike riding, as I gave Suzie away last week. Couldn't bring
myself to sell her, so I gave her away to someone who really needs a
bike,
and I know will look after her - and I can visit her when I want to...

I know the feeling.

Yes, sentimental old buggers, aren't we! g

sniff!

Yes. If I could find another G3 Matchless with girder forks and rigid
rear, I'd be in seventh heaven...

/sniff!

Or any Douglas, Longstroke Velo', Big Vin, or even - oh, I'll just have
to make do with me 'Onda 250RS and me BMW R80 innit. Now, howsabout a
window-box under the headlamp of one of them? Growing speedwell and
rocket?

--
Rusty

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 10-04-2009 11:50 AM

Isn't it too early for midges?

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Really? I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Better than getting bitten in the Antipodes...

--
Rusty

Judith in France 10-04-2009 12:39 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

On Apr 10, 12:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:50:48 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Really? *I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. *I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. *All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! *Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Better than getting bitten in the Antipodes...

or in the tropical nether regions.
--

Martin

Leave off you two! :-)

Judith

Judith in France 10-04-2009 12:42 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

On Apr 10, 9:16*am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:13:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:

"aries" wrote:
-
[...]

"Spit" no they didn't.

You are dribbling :o)
Why "spit"?

Is it windy chez vous tonight; *It is blowing
a gale? it is here.

No it was still, hot and tropical. Forecast today is 24°C
Next week we are back to 12°C
--

Martin

We have a gale here much stronger than predicted. It is forcast over
3 days with today being the medium grade, tomorrow it is expected to
really blow. I consider that today is pretty bad, the greenhouse
which was ready to be glazed is on the ground in a heap, the corner is
twisted but Edward says he can repair it. Today was to have been the
day it was to be bolted down into concrete.

Judith

Gordon H[_3_] 10-04-2009 05:19 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Yes, sentimental old buggers, aren't we! g

sniff!

Yes. If I could find another G3 Matchless with girder forks and rigid
rear, I'd be in seventh heaven...

/sniff!

Or any Douglas, Longstroke Velo', Big Vin, or even - oh, I'll just have
to make do with me 'Onda 250RS and me BMW R80 innit. Now, howsabout a
window-box under the headlamp of one of them? Growing speedwell and
rocket?

Is this going to evolve into a thread where you two try to think of
Motor Sickle companies for every letter of the alphabet?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 10-04-2009 05:44 PM

Isn't it too early for midges?

wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Really? *I take multivitamins and mineral supplements and I drink
pure fresh squeezed orange juice. *I still got bitten 2 weeks ago in
Mauritius. *All of the people on the same table, didn't!!!! *Maybe I
need more Vit C?

Better than getting bitten in the Antipodes...

or in the tropical nether regions.
--

Martin

Leave off you two! :-)

'Ello-'ello! Som wurn has been bitt-en sur l'Arras, n'est ce pas?

--
Rusty