GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Salsify (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182415-salsify.html)

Rock Creations 07-04-2009 09:41 PM

Salsify

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

K 08-04-2009 09:50 AM

Salsify

Rock Creations writes

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Delicate taste not like much else. Long roots which are a bit of a
fiddle to peel - ie they're about half the diameter of carrots and three
times as long ;-)

They're easy to grow, so definitely worth growing to see if you like
them. Then the taste will tell you whether they're worth growing
thereafter.

Scorzonera is similar but with black roots.

--
Kay

Sacha[_3_] 08-04-2009 10:00 AM

Salsify

On 8/4/09 09:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

Rock Creations writes

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Delicate taste not like much else. Long roots which are a bit of a
fiddle to peel - ie they're about half the diameter of carrots and three
times as long ;-)

They're easy to grow, so definitely worth growing to see if you like
them. Then the taste will tell you whether they're worth growing
thereafter.

Scorzonera is similar but with black roots.

Do you steam them Kay and serve them plain or do you do anything else with
them? I've eaten salsify and like it but I've never cooked it for some
reason.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 08-04-2009 10:04 AM

Salsify

The message
from Rock Creations contains
these words:

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Worth growing. How do you describe a taste? Also known, IIRC, as 'the
vegetable oyster'.

You need quite deep soil and preferably, not stony.

--
Rusty

K 08-04-2009 11:53 AM

Salsify

Sacha writes
On 8/4/09 09:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

Rock Creations writes

As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought
some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can
anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Delicate taste not like much else. Long roots which are a bit of a
fiddle to peel - ie they're about half the diameter of carrots and three
times as long ;-)

They're easy to grow, so definitely worth growing to see if you like
them. Then the taste will tell you whether they're worth growing
thereafter.

Scorzonera is similar but with black roots.

Do you steam them Kay and serve them plain or do you do anything else with
them? I've eaten salsify and like it but I've never cooked it for some
reason.

I can't remember - it's a long time since I've grown them! Steamed and a
bit of butter, I think. They're colloquially known as 'vegetable oyster'
but I've never had oysters so I can't comment.
--
Kay

Sacha[_3_] 08-04-2009 01:26 PM

Salsify

On 8/4/09 11:53, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 8/4/09 09:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

Rock Creations writes

[...]

I've never had oysters and if I can help it, I never shall!

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 08-04-2009 02:43 PM

Salsify

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I've never had oysters and if I can help it, I never shall!

As most people eat them, UGH!

They are excellent when lightly fried, though.

One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

The rest are only fit for bait, as far as I am concerned.

--
Rusty

beccabunga 08-04-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Creations (Post 837551)
As a beginner I have planted all the usual things, but I also bought some salsify seeds. I have never seen or heard of these before, can anyone give me any information on taste etc are they worth growing?

Have another advantage in that you can fry the flowers for breakfast - absolutely delicious. But must be in butter.

Sacha[_3_] 08-04-2009 05:54 PM

Salsify

On 8/4/09 14:43, in article ,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I've never had oysters and if I can help it, I never shall!

As most people eat them, UGH!

They are excellent when lightly fried, though.

I forgot I'd had one of those - horrible, to me.

One of the few molluscs I like - along ith scollops, (SCollops, I
said!), octopus and squid.

I don't even like scollops and they don't like me. Octopus and squid look
so disgusting before you eat them that I can't.

The rest are only fit for bait, as far as I am concerned.

Yup.

K 08-04-2009 08:27 PM

Salsify

Sacha writes
Octopus and squid look so disgusting before you eat them that I can't.

Squid is often overcooked. Cooked quickly it is beautifully tender and
not in the least rubbery. If cut into bits with the tentacles removed it
doesn't look recognisable (although the tentacles are as good as the
rest).

Octopus needs long cooking, until it changes colour to a beautiful deep
red.

Just back from Portugal where they not only regularly serve squid and
octopus in various sizes, but cuttle fish too. :-)
--
Kay

Sacha[_3_] 08-04-2009 10:58 PM

Salsify

On 8/4/09 20:27, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
Octopus and squid look so disgusting before you eat them that I can't.

Squid is often overcooked. Cooked quickly it is beautifully tender and
not in the least rubbery. If cut into bits with the tentacles removed it
doesn't look recognisable (although the tentacles are as good as the
rest).

Octopus needs long cooking, until it changes colour to a beautiful deep
red.

Just back from Portugal where they not only regularly serve squid and
octopus in various sizes, but cuttle fish too. :-)

I know, Kay - honest I do. I know all the arguments but I just wish they
worked on me. I've eaten squid when a friend made it for us in a superb
Thai curry and good manners insisted that I did eat it. I can't truly say
it did nothing awful to me. But I have this terrible squeamish hang up
about what my food looks like before I eat it. For 2 pins I could very
easily be vegetarian. In Portugal I sailed into a wonderful little fishing
harbour/bay a long time ago and as we were leaning on the wall, having
anchored and clambered ashore, admiring a couple of yachts at anchor
including ours, contemplating dinner, a fisherman nudged me and as I turned
round, dangled a squid 2" from my face. Honestly, I've never recovered!
I'm sure a shrink would describe it as a trauma - I certainly would. The
upside of that village was that I've never, ever seen so many swallows'
nests in one place in my whole life. Wish I could remember its name.

Sacha[_3_] 08-04-2009 11:42 PM

Salsify

On 8/4/09 23:11, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

Did you ever watch Greek fishermen smashing octopus against rocks to make them
more tender to eat. On Naxos they used to BBQ octopus, they were really
delicious. Didn't you eat Calamari in batter in Italy? In Greece we had it
cooked in a very peppery sauce.

Yes I've watched it, no I don't eat it. Anywhere! ;-) If my husband
really liked pasta and didn't hate rice, I'd eat pasta with veg, or risotto
every day in preference to a meat and two veg dish.

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 09-04-2009 10:59 AM

Salsify

The message
from K contains these words:
Sacha writes
Octopus and squid look so disgusting before you eat them that I can't.

Squid is often overcooked. Cooked quickly it is beautifully tender and
not in the least rubbery. If cut into bits with the tentacles removed it
doesn't look recognisable (although the tentacles are as good as the
rest).

Octopus needs long cooking, until it changes colour to a beautiful deep
red.

Just back from Portugal where they not only regularly serve squid and
octopus in various sizes, but cuttle fish too. :-)

Never had the opportunity of trying cuttlefish - but I'd expect it to be
rather squidlike.

--
Rusty

K 09-04-2009 11:35 AM

Salsify

Sacha writes

I know, Kay - honest I do. I know all the arguments but I just wish they
worked on me. I've eaten squid when a friend made it for us in a superb
Thai curry and good manners insisted that I did eat it. I can't truly say
it did nothing awful to me. But I have this terrible squeamish hang up
about what my food looks like before I eat it. For 2 pins I could very
easily be vegetarian. In Portugal I sailed into a wonderful little fishing
harbour/bay a long time ago and as we were leaning on the wall, having
anchored and clambered ashore, admiring a couple of yachts at anchor
including ours, contemplating dinner, a fisherman nudged me and as I turned
round, dangled a squid 2" from my face.

You would not have liked our experience in Greece, idling over lunch,
watching below us the husband preparing the octpuses for dinner - a
process that involved battering them with a big stone until you were
surprised there was anything left, periodically breaking off to rub them
against a particularly rough rock.

Honestly, I've never recovered!
I'm sure a shrink would describe it as a trauma - I certainly would. The
upside of that village was that I've never, ever seen so many swallows'
nests in one place in my whole life. Wish I could remember its name.

We spent delightful afternoons watching the martins hunt and chirrup
incessantly to each other, then evenings watching the bats hunting the
insects attracted by the castle floodlights - never seen so many bats in
my life nor so clearly :-)
--
Kay

K 09-04-2009 11:37 AM

Salsify

Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:
Sacha writes
Octopus and squid look so disgusting before you eat them that I can't.

Squid is often overcooked. Cooked quickly it is beautifully tender and
not in the least rubbery. If cut into bits with the tentacles removed it
doesn't look recognisable (although the tentacles are as good as the
rest).

Octopus needs long cooking, until it changes colour to a beautiful deep
red.

Just back from Portugal where they not only regularly serve squid and
octopus in various sizes, but cuttle fish too. :-)

Never had the opportunity of trying cuttlefish - but I'd expect it to be
rather squidlike.

Yes, it was.
--
Kay