Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Registered User

Angry Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous?

First post here! I have a house in France where, in 2005, I planted several Elaeagnus x ebbingei to make a hedgerow. My (new) dog is now eating the berries. Does anyone know if they are poisonous?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous?

--
Earth Mother

All the Elaeagnus family bear edible fruits as well as being useful
nitrogen-fixing
David Hill
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Mother View Post
First post here! I have a house in France where, in 2005, I planted several Elaeagnus x ebbingei to make a hedgerow. My (new) dog is now eating the berries. Does anyone know if they are poisonous?
I've eaten a lot without coming to any harm. They are highly nutricious, tasty and given top rating for edibility at http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....nus+x+ebbingei
In fact I planted mine because I wanted the berries to eat but it won't flower...
Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from echinosum contains these words:

http://tinyurl.com/csut24
In fact I planted mine because I wanted the berries to eat but it won't
flower...

Give it five years.

It likes to think things over a bit.

--
Rusty
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Hinge[_2_] View Post
In fact I planted mine because I wanted the berries to eat but it won't
flower...[/i][/color]

Give it five years.
It's had a couple more than 5 years. But we do have to cut it back hard as we wish to be able to get into the house, and it grows very fast.