GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planted some potatoes yesterday! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182525-planted-some-potatoes-yesterday.html)

alan.holmes 11-04-2009 04:16 PM

Planted some potatoes yesterday!

A whole ten potato seeds!

Wow!

Now it is raining so will have to put off the rest for a while!(:-(

Alan

Bill P. 11-04-2009 04:46 PM

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A whole ten potato seeds!

Wow!

Now it is raining so will have to put off the rest for a while!(:-(

Alan

I have six tub and one tup has a green shoot pushing through. They are
ACCENT tubers and I have them in a cold greenhouse. (only five tubers
though)

Bill.

Bill P. 12-04-2009 11:07 AM

"Aries" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:46:55 +0100, Bill P. wrote:

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A whole ten potato seeds!

I have six tubs and one tup has a green shoot pushing through. They are
ACCENT tubers and I have them in a cold greenhouse. (only five tubers
though)

Bill.

Similar here Bill, but mine are in tubs *outside* and I've planted 12.
They've been pushing up through the soil for some daya so I top them up
with
fresh soil, also making sure they are protected from any late frosts.
--
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind
of

Nice one Val ;-)

Bill.

Bertie Doe 12-04-2009 10:31 PM

"Bill P." wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A whole ten potato seeds!

Wow!

Now it is raining so will have to put off the rest for a while!(:-(

Alan

I have six tub and one tup has a green shoot pushing through. They are
ACCENT tubers and I have them in a cold greenhouse. (only five tubers
though)

Accent's my favourite. Heavy cropper, good for new or main crop. I never
bother to peel them, skin is too thin. Sadly haven't been able to get them
locally, for the last 2 seasons.

alan.holmes 14-04-2009 04:15 PM

Planted some potatoes yesterday!

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A whole ten potato seeds!

Wow!

Now it is raining so will have to put off the rest for a while!(:-(

And another ten today, my, my, am getting better each day!

Alan

David in Normandy[_7_] 14-04-2009 05:52 PM

alan.holmes wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message
A whole ten potato seeds!

Wow!

Now it is raining so will have to put off the rest for a while!(:-(

And another ten today, my, my, am getting better each day!
Alan

Well I hoed my 250 potatoes up yesterday :-)
The first runner bean is also poking its head above the ground too today.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

David in Normandy[_7_] 14-04-2009 07:41 PM

AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:52:39 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

The first runner bean is also poking its head above the ground too today.

gosh that's early, when did you put the seed in? I put mine in about a week
ago so no sign of them popping through just yet.

I set some runner bean seeds about a month ago fully expecting them to
get frosted. I've got lots of seed, I save them from one year to the
next for free. :-) so don't care if some get killed. I planted more
seeds yesterday around the remainder of the canes. It's nice to get an
early start with gardening and get an early harvest.

I wasn't so lucky with the carrot seed and parsnip seed though. I set a
row of each a month ago and they haven't come up. Unfortunately lots of
weeds came up in the same spot, so I've hoed them all out today and set
new seeds. Some you win, some you lose.

My peas are looking good. They are around 3 inches high and putting out
tendrils looking for the pea sticks.

Judith in France 14-04-2009 10:18 PM

Planted some potatoes yesterday!

On Apr 14, 6:41*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
AriesVal wrote:
[...]

* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

David, you I and a couple of others in France compare notes at times.
This time, you are well ahead of me. I will go into the garden
tomorrow and show you some daffs, still in bud!!!! I am well behind
this year, simply because of the weather. However, I do have loads of
eggs!!!!! (I had a souffle for supper tonight, tomorrow, I will
scramble andf reeze!).

Judith

Pete C[_2_] 14-04-2009 10:28 PM

AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:52:39 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

The first runner bean is also poking its head above the ground too
today.

gosh that's early, when did you put the seed in? I put mine in about
a week ago so no sign of them popping through just yet.

Started some in fibre pots 10 days ago..........planted out some a foot tall
and given away what I haven,t room for at home. Will plant more for lotty
soon. :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete C[_2_] 14-04-2009 10:30 PM

David in Normandy wrote:
AriesVal wrote:
[...]

Peas planted 3 weeks ago now 3". More planted yesterday. More in newspaper
pots soon for lotty :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete C[_2_] 14-04-2009 10:31 PM

wrote:
AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:52:39 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

snippy

David, you I and a couple of others in France compare notes at times.
This time, you are well ahead of me. I will go into the garden
tomorrow and show you some daffs, still in bud!!!! I am well behind
this year, simply because of the weather. However, I do have loads of
eggs!!!!! (I had a souffle for supper tonight, tomorrow, I will
scramble andf reeze!).

Judith

You freeze scrambled egg?

--
Pete C
London UK

David in Normandy[_7_] 14-04-2009 10:32 PM

Judith in France wrote:
However, I do have loads of
eggs!!!!! (I had a souffle for supper tonight, tomorrow, I will
scramble andf reeze!).

Judith

I plan to have chickens sooner or later. My French neighbour is a little
sceptical though. It seems there are problems with foxes around here.
The last time he kept chickens he lost the lot apparently. I'm not sure
of the exact details my French is still not fluent.

I took a gamble with the potatoes getting them planted in February.
However, they are not without some sense of their own and didn't budge
until the soil warmed up a little. They are now several inches high and
ridged up but still at risk of a late frost. So fingers crossed.

I've just remembered something about my gooseberry bush but will start a
new thread.