GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Killing Grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182566-killing-grass.html)

mo[_2_] 12-04-2009 05:51 PM

Killing Grass

Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift up
the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there anything I
can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the surrounding
areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I can just dig up the
mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

Spider[_2_] 12-04-2009 06:06 PM

Killing Grass

"mo" wrote in message
Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift up
the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there anything I
can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the surrounding
areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I can just dig up
the mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

A glyphosate-based herbicide is the best thing. Be careful, though, because
it will kill *any* plant it touches. If you buy the concentrate, rather
than a ready-to-use spray, it will certainly be cheaper but you will need to
buy a cheap sprayer as well.

Spider

mo[_2_] 12-04-2009 06:15 PM

Killing Grass

"Spider" wrote in message

A glyphosate-based herbicide is the best thing. Be careful, though,
because it will kill *any* plant it touches. If you buy the concentrate,
rather than a ready-to-use spray, it will certainly be cheaper but you
will need to buy a cheap sprayer as well.

Spider

How logn does it take to work and how long before I can re-use the land?

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 12-04-2009 06:30 PM

Killing Grass

The message
from "mo" contains these words:

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

half a dozen bitches should do the job - if not nicely, then, effectively.

--
Rusty

Spider[_2_] 12-04-2009 06:36 PM

Killing Grass

"mo" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

A glyphosate-based herbicide is the best thing. Be careful, though,
because it will kill *any* plant it touches. If you buy the concentrate,
rather than a ready-to-use spray, it will certainly be cheaper but you
will need to buy a cheap sprayer as well.

Spider

How logn does it take to work and how long before I can re-use the land?

I think about three weeks, provided rain doesn't wash it off. Once it has
dried on the soil, it breaks down and is (relatively) harmless. Certainly
by the time you've skimmed the dead turf off and dug over the soil, it
should be safe. Allow extra time, if you can, for a second application if
any unwanted growth persists.

Spider

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 12-04-2009 07:03 PM

Killing Grass

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I think about three weeks, provided rain doesn't wash it off. Once it has
dried on the soil, it breaks down and is (relatively) harmless.

Once it hits the soil it is chemically changed, and harmless to plants.

Certainly
by the time you've skimmed the dead turf off and dug over the soil, it
should be safe.

It will be safe.

Allow extra time, if you can, for a second application if
any unwanted growth persists.

I'd make a stack of the turf and let it compost for six months or so,
then use the resulting soil.

--
Rusty

Stewart Robert Hinsley 12-04-2009 07:55 PM

Killing Grass

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I think about three weeks, provided rain doesn't wash it off. Once it has
dried on the soil, it breaks down and is (relatively) harmless.

Once it hits the soil it is chemically changed, and harmless to plants.

One it hits the soil it gets bound to soil particles, and pretty mich
inaccessible to plants. It is broken down over time by bacteria, but the
half-life varies with soil-type. (A range of 1 to 174 days can be found
on the web.)

Certainly
by the time you've skimmed the dead turf off and dug over the soil, it
should be safe.

It will be safe.

Allow extra time, if you can, for a second application if
any unwanted growth persists.

I'd make a stack of the turf and let it compost for six months or so,
then use the resulting soil.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Judith in France 12-04-2009 08:57 PM

Killing Grass

On Apr 12, 5:51*pm, "mo" wrote:
Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift up
the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there anything I
can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the surrounding
areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I can just dig up the
mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

Roundup will see it off, completely, put it on when rain is not
expected. Of course you will then end up with a dead thatch which can
still be difficult to lift. I saw a t.v. prog once where a new lawn
was laid on the old, I don't know if it was successful or not;
anyone??

Judith

Judith in France 12-04-2009 08:58 PM

Killing Grass

On Apr 12, 6:15*pm, "mo" wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

A glyphosate-based herbicide is the best thing. *Be careful, though,
because it will kill *any* plant it touches. *If you buy the concentrate,
rather than a ready-to-use spray, it will certainly be cheaper but you
will need to buy a cheap sprayer as well.

Spider

How logn does it take to work and how long before I can re-use the land?

You can reuse almost immediately, it is activated on the green stuff
not in the soil.

Judith

Judith in France 12-04-2009 08:59 PM

Killing Grass

On Apr 12, 6:30*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "mo" contains these words:

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

half a dozen bitches should do the job - if not nicely, then, effectively..

--
Rusty

I'll take a 'plane then should I? :-)

Judith

Martin Brown 12-04-2009 09:19 PM

Killing Grass

mo wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

A glyphosate-based herbicide is the best thing. Be careful, though,
because it will kill *any* plant it touches. If you buy the
concentrate, rather than a ready-to-use spray, it will certainly be
cheaper but you will need to buy a cheap sprayer as well.

Spider

How logn does it take to work and how long before I can re-use the land?

Glyphosate takes about two weeks to take full effect, but you can see
yellow or organe tinges in new growth after a week. it siw roth leaving
it to take full effect or couch grass, ivy and buttercup will survive.

A few very waxy plants like ivy, holly and some cacti will resist it.
But I would not want to rely on this.

If you don't care about killing the weeds you could rotivate and replant
the next day. But you get better control by leaving the plants to crash
and burn in the sun for a fortnight or more. Grass goes an interesting
shade of orange when it is killed by this method.

Glyphosate has to touch green plant material and be absorbed. I have
used it to kill weeds inbetween raspberry canes and couch grass in
goosberry bushes. Provided you only hit the things you want to kill the
stuff is very lethal to plants but almost instantly disabled on contact
with soil. The chemical persists, but its activity is essentially nil.

If you make a mistake and hit some piece of plant you did not intend
prune it off immediately.

Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate so if you are using it be
careful not to overspray your shoes and then walk on a lawn.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Spider[_2_] 12-04-2009 09:35 PM

Killing Grass

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I think about three weeks, provided rain doesn't wash it off. Once it
has
dried on the soil, it breaks down and is (relatively) harmless.

Once it hits the soil it is chemically changed, and harmless to plants.

Certainly
by the time you've skimmed the dead turf off and dug over the soil, it
should be safe.

It will be safe.

I'd generally agree with that, but I confess I've heard rumblings in the
undergrowth that, perhaps, glyphosate is not quite as safe as once thought.
I still use it, though, and hope it will not be withdrawn. I hope you're a
brilliant scientist :~) and can confirm it is still safe to use.

Allow extra time, if you can, for a second application if
any unwanted growth persists.

I'd make a stack of the turf and let it compost for six months or so,
then use the resulting soil.

Excellent idea. I expect I would have thought of it myself if the Husband
Thingy hadn't been moaning about hunger pains and starvation in general! :~^

Spider

Rusty

Gordon H[_3_] 12-04-2009 09:41 PM

Killing Grass

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "mo" contains these words:

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

half a dozen bitches should do the job - if not nicely, then, effectively.

It could be difficult to organise that. Our border collie bitch
always 'went' on the same corner of the lawn.
No amount of reasoning with her would persuade her go elsewhere.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Clive 12-04-2009 09:43 PM

Killing Grass

"mo" wrote in message
Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift up
the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there anything I
can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the surrounding
areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I can just dig up
the mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

Bleach or a caustic soda mixture does the trick. Other that that maybe some
petrol and a box of matches.

Tunku[_2_] 12-04-2009 10:35 PM

Killing Grass

"mo" wrote in
:

Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the
lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift
up the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there
anything I can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the
surrounding areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I
can just dig up the mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have
seen thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

Diesel does a damn good job. I know because I was working on my diesel
beside my immaculate front lawn, when a fuel hose let go with the engine
running whist I was out of sight of it :-)

--
The above post may contain traces of irony