GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pittospernum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182632-pittospernum.html)

JudiMay 15-04-2009 09:05 AM

Pittospernum

I have a lovely pittospernum in my garden. I'm not sure of the variety but
it has small purple leaves when mature. Unfortunately it has suffered this
winter through the heavy snowfall that we had in February. There is now a
gap in the middle and some of the leaves are brown at the tips
over parts of the bush. I love this plant which has for years prospered well
and has been a really good compact shape. I'm wondering whether if I leave
it alone it may recover or should I do some drastic pruning? I'd be very
grateful for any advice.

Judith (Leicestershire/Rutland area)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 15-04-2009 12:19 PM

Pittospernum

In article ,
says...
I have a lovely pittospernum in my garden. I'm not sure of the variety but
it has small purple leaves when mature. Unfortunately it has suffered this
winter through the heavy snowfall that we had in February. There is now a
gap in the middle and some of the leaves are brown at the tips
over parts of the bush. I love this plant which has for years prospered well
and has been a really good compact shape. I'm wondering whether if I leave
it alone it may recover or should I do some drastic pruning? I'd be very
grateful for any advice.

Judith (Leicestershire/Rutland area)

It should recover, leave it alone until it finishes flowering then you
can trim back any unsightly bits after which it should make new growth
and by the Autumn look as good as before
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

JudiMay 16-04-2009 08:47 AM

Pittospernum

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:05:45 +0100, "JudiMay"
wrote:

I have a lovely pittospernum in my garden. I'm not sure of the variety but
it has small purple leaves when mature. Unfortunately it has suffered this
winter through the heavy snowfall that we had in February. There is now a
gap in the middle and some of the leaves are brown at the tips
over parts of the bush. I love this plant which has for years prospered
well
and has been a really good compact shape. I'm wondering whether if I
leave
it alone it may recover or should I do some drastic pruning? I'd be very
grateful for any advice.

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I second Charlie's comments. In Cornwall it's often grown as a hedge,
so will happily tolerate being given a haircut from time to time.

Thank you Charlie and Chris for your comforting advice, I would so hate to
lose this plant.

Judith (Leicestershire/Rutland)