GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoes (Again) - Capillary Matting? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182755-tomatoes-again-capillary-matting.html)

Judith Smith 18-04-2009 02:55 PM

Tomatoes (Again) - Capillary Matting?

Some may recall I lost all of my tomatoes do due damping off - (thanks
for all comments and support)

All of the replacements are coming along quite nicely - BUT I am
paranoid about losing them again.

I am currently watering the 10inch trays by standing in water until
the top of the compost starts to show moisture. But this is a pain -
and the surface of the composts dries out and cracks. All plants are
healthy and getting bigger so it is working.

However, I wonder if using capillary matting would be the answer -
giving a steady supply of moisture to the plants but without any
danger of over watering.

Suggestion/Comments please

Ron Convery 13-05-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Smith (Post 839454)
Some may recall I lost all of my tomatoes do due damping off - (thanks
for all comments and support)

All of the replacements are coming along quite nicely - BUT I am
paranoid about losing them again.

I am currently watering the 10inch trays by standing in water until
the top of the compost starts to show moisture. But this is a pain -
and the surface of the composts dries out and cracks. All plants are
healthy and getting bigger so it is working.

However, I wonder if using capillary matting would be the answer -
giving a steady supply of moisture to the plants but without any
danger of over watering.

Suggestion/Comments please

Recently returned from a week away and left tomatoes - 5 plants in 7.5 litre pots - in a polythene lined tray in which pots were laid on capillary matting. They have obviously thrived and look so healthy I am considering means of adopting this permanently. Does anyone know of any drawbacks to such a watering system?