GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning espaliers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182783-pruning-espaliers.html)

agardener 19-04-2009 02:56 PM

Pruning espaliers

I have 3 28 year old espaliers. Some spurs have grown on to 2feet in length. Is this Ok or do they need cutting back. If so how?

spruce 19-04-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agardener (Post 839598)
I have 3 28 year old espaliers. Some spurs have grown on to 2feet in length. Is this Ok or do they need cutting back. If so how?

Hi I would say its the wrong time of year you should of done most othe pruning in Autum, as the sap is rising I would wait until the summer prune.
Are you able to bend the branche down to slow the sap as it might encourage other shhoots to break you need to get a good book and read up as on here it would be complicated on what to do.
Considering how old they are waiting until later in the year would have no depremental effect
Hope this helps a bit
Spruce

Jim Jackson 20-04-2009 09:03 PM

Pruning espaliers

agardener wrote:

I have 3 28 year old espaliers. Some spurs have grown on to 2feet in
length. Is this Ok or do they need cutting back. If so how?

Now is not the right time. I've got an espalier pear I forgot to prune
last winter. I'll do some initial pruning back in July/August, and
cut back a bit harder in January.

--
agardener