GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Prunings - Shredder _ Compost ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/182878-prunings-shredder-_-compost.html)

Gordon H[_3_] 21-04-2009 08:48 PM

Prunings - Shredder _ Compost ?

What proportion of shredded prunings of various shrubs is it advisable
to place in the compost heap?

Since I live alone, I don't get a great amount of kitchen waste to add
to the heap, so my compost is mainly shreddings and some of the grass
from the mower. Plus some free home-made accelerator. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Derek Turner 22-04-2009 12:28 AM

Prunings - Shredder _ Compost ?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:48:28 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

What proportion of shredded prunings of various shrubs is it advisable
to place in the compost heap?

Since I live alone, I don't get a great amount of kitchen waste to add
to the heap, so my compost is mainly shreddings and some of the grass
from the mower. Plus some free home-made accelerator. ;-)

Sounds like an ideal balance! Layer shreddings (brown) with grass
clippings (green) and you really can't go wrong.

Gordon H[_3_] 22-04-2009 07:35 PM

Prunings - Shredder _ Compost ?

In message , Derek Turner
writes
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:48:28 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

What proportion of shredded prunings of various shrubs is it advisable
to place in the compost heap?

Since I live alone, I don't get a great amount of kitchen waste to add
to the heap, so my compost is mainly shreddings and some of the grass
from the mower. Plus some free home-made accelerator. ;-)

Sounds like an ideal balance! Layer shreddings (brown) with grass
clippings (green) and you really can't go wrong.

Thanks. Last year's stuff looks and feels ok, just slightly twiggy
in parts and not a soft as commercial compost. I'll persevere. :)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply