Old 25-04-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default identify these flowers

I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them
and if you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.
--
Ellis Morgan
Old 25-04-2009, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 25, 4:16*pm, Ellis Morgan wrote:
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them
and if you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

Dunno; sorry

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

Pulsatilla in the buttercup family (Rannunculaceae)

Old 25-04-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ellis Morgan wrote:
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them
and if you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

Could be a species Freesia, perhaps.

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

Pulsatilla seems likely and perhaps P. montana?

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.

The program you use to upload photos puts them in automatically.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-04-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Ellis Morgan contains these words:

/clip/

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.

Only a promble if your server runs a flavour of Linux...

--
Rusty

Old 25-04-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ellis Morgan" wrote in message
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens next
to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them and if
you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture of
a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.
--
Ellis Morgan

The first is a form of botanical tulip, but I don't know which. Try
googling a few of the well-known bulb suppliers: Bloms, Avon, Broadleigh,
Parkers, ... loads more, but I can't call them to mind just now.

We all seem to agree on the second flower. It's the Pasque Flower,
Pulsatilla vulgaris.

Spider

Old 25-04-2009, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes
On Apr 25, 4:16*pm, Ellis Morgan wrote:
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them
and if you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with
pink.http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

Dunno; sorry

Copuld be one of the small tulips. Google 'Tulipa clusiana' - I don't
think it is that one, but you'll see where I'm coming from.

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like
it.http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

Pulsatilla in the buttercup family (Rannunculaceae)

Agreed

--
Kay
Old 25-04-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote ...
"Ellis Morgan" asked
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens next
to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them and if
you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.

The first is a form of botanical tulip, but I don't know which. Try
googling a few of the well-known bulb suppliers: Bloms, Avon, Broadleigh,
Parkers, ... loads more, but I can't call them to mind just now.

Tulipa clusiana or variety of?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Morgan View Post
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them
and if you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

Looks like Tulipa clusiana

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

Anemone vulgaris [used to be called pulsatilla] - Pasqueflower.

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.
--
Ellis Morgan
You mention five - what are the others?
Old 26-04-2009, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Spider" wrote ...
"Ellis Morgan" asked
[...]

Many thanks to everyone for all your replies.

There can be no doubt you are all right about the pasque flower, it is
interesting that it grows wild on chalklands in the south of England.

I have looked at several pictures of tulipa clusiana, none of them were
identical to the one in my photo, but the similarities were enough to
make me think I could drop your question mark after "variety of". Here
is a picture from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulipa_clusiana
and here is part of my picture shown next to it
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/compare.jpg

--
Ellis Morgan

Old 26-04-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

There is certainly a very strong likeness to T. cluisiana, especially if you
bear in mind that one flower appears freshly open, and the other long open,
petals reflexed and bleached by the sun.

Spider

Old 27-04-2009, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes

[...]

variety = cynthia?
http://www.paghat.com/tulipacynthia.html

probably the end, and thanks again
--
Ellis Morgan
Old 27-04-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , beccabunga
writes

Ellis Morgan;840931 Wrote:
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them

and if you can provide a url reference about them that is even
better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the

petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://tinyurl.com/c2cvvj

Looks like Tulipa clusiana

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture

of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://tinyurl.com/cghry2

Anemone vulgaris [used to be called pulsatilla] - Pasqueflower.

I won't express an opinion as to which genus it should be placed in, but
Pulsatilla vulgaris's name in Anemone is Anemone pulsatilla.

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if

you type it. Thanks in advance.
--
Ellis Morgan

You mention five - what are the others?