Old 27-04-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default brassica seedlings and pests

This week end I planted out some lettuce seedlings, cabbage and
broccoli seedlings.
I have the pigeon angle covered, with old CDs dangling from bamboo
sticks over the seedlings (one with an old copy of Norton anti-
virus... we'll have to see whether that works better than Tom Jones'
best of, which came free with the Sunday Times last year...).
I also have the anti-slug down. However, I seem to recall
recommendations to put "collars" made of bits of old carpet or plastic
sheeting at the base of the seedlings to keep some fly at bay. What
is the fly, and how soon do I need to do this?
What about the cabbage caterpillar (cabbage white?) - is there
anything I can do at this early stage re. this?

TIA!
Caít()
Old 27-04-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
This week end I planted out some lettuce seedlings, cabbage and
broccoli seedlings.
I have the pigeon angle covered, with old CDs dangling from bamboo
sticks over the seedlings (one with an old copy of Norton anti-
virus... we'll have to see whether that works better than Tom Jones'
best of, which came free with the Sunday Times last year...).
I also have the anti-slug down. However, I seem to recall
recommendations to put "collars" made of bits of old carpet or plastic
sheeting at the base of the seedlings to keep some fly at bay. What
is the fly, and how soon do I need to do this?
What about the cabbage caterpillar (cabbage white?) - is there
anything I can do at this early stage re. this?

TIA!
Caít()

I bought a roll of the stuff used to lay on bricks as a damp course. I
then cut off about 6 " lengths, cut through about 1/3 then a small hole
at the end of the cut. 2 of these laid opposite each other does the job
for me. They last for many seasons as well.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 30-04-2009, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 4:51*pm, Broadback wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm affraid I planted without earlier
planning beyond the anti-pigeon CDs and the anti-slug blue-pellet
napalm, and have had no time to get back into the garden since - so
the above is a job for the week end. I hope it won't be too late :-(

Caít()
Old 30-04-2009, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Cat(h) wrote:
[...]

What are you doing to protect your crop against butterflies laying their
eggs on your plants? The caterpillars can be devastating.

Me, I would advise an anti-butterfly netting to cover the plants.

Ed

Garden Pests - How To Get Rid Of Garden Pests And Keep Your GardenHealthy! fryedaddy Gardening 4 01-02-2008 05:01 AM
Brassica virus? sarah United Kingdom 7 22-07-2004 05:12 PM
Brassica cage? Chris United Kingdom 14 06-04-2004 09:49 PM
Brassica Seedling problems United Kingdom 2 02-04-2003 05:56 AM
Brassica transplanting Patrick United Kingdom 5 01-04-2003 01:20 PM