GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Just popping to say hello (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183038-just-popping-say-hello.html)

wafflycat 27-04-2009 06:02 PM

Just popping to say hello

Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants and
grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a greater
range of veg and to grow things from seed. Got my strapping son to dig me a
couple of veg plots in the garden and I am gradually filling them up.

Cheers, helen s (Norfolk)

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 27-04-2009 07:54 PM

Just popping to say hello

The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants and
grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a greater
range of veg and to grow things from seed. Got my strapping son to dig me a
couple of veg plots in the garden and I am gradually filling them up.

'Ello there Wooflescatty!

Hope you're enjoying the rain here in S. Norfolk - molishes of the weeds
to grow innit.

--
Rusty

wafflycat 27-04-2009 08:28 PM

Just popping to say hello

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants and
grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a greater
range of veg and to grow things from seed. Got my strapping son to dig me
couple of veg plots in the garden and I am gradually filling them up.

'Ello there Wooflescatty!

Hope you're enjoying the rain here in S. Norfolk - molishes of the weeds
to grow innit.

Evening, Rusty!

So far... I'm managing to keep on top of the weeds... I reckon there's
nowhere in England as fertile for stinging nettles as Norfolk ;-)

I'm in mid-Norfolk - between Swaffham & Dereham. Lots of drizzle with the
odd bit of heavier stuff today.

One thing I have found most useful is the metcheck web site - the weather
forecasts are more detailed and more accurate, I feel, than the Tv ones.
I've been checking it daily to keep an eye on potential frosty nights.

So far I've got going

runner beans
dwarf beans of a couple of varieties
broad beans
peas
beets of a couple of varieties
chard
spring onions
radishes
lettuces
carrots
kale
tomatoes (many sorts..)
sweet peppers
various chillies
various courgettes & summer squashes
a couple of varietes of potatoes
red onions
pot marigolds
dwarf sunflowers
loads of different herbs

So I'm hoping that I should manage to get *something* to the point of
harvest.. but then again, Mother Nature may just bite me on the bum...

Cheers, helen s

--
Rusty

Judith in France 27-04-2009 10:19 PM

Just popping to say hello

On Apr 27, 6:02*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants and
grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a greater
range of veg and to grow things from seed. Got my strapping son to dig me a
couple of veg plots in the garden and I am gradually filling them up.

Cheers, helen s (Norfolk)

Hi Helen in Norfolk from Judith who used to live in Norfolk and now
lives in France. I look forward to hearing about your veggie plots.
Rusty lives in Norfolk and is an expert on a load of stuff, I expect
you will get to know him. Good Gardening Helen.

Judith

wafflycat 27-04-2009 10:35 PM

Just popping to say hello

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Hi Helen in Norfolk from Judith who used to live in Norfolk and now
lives in France. I look forward to hearing about your veggie plots.
Rusty lives in Norfolk and is an expert on a load of stuff, I expect
you will get to know him. Good Gardening Helen.

Judith

Thanks for the welcome. Appreciated.

Judith in France 27-04-2009 10:58 PM

Just popping to say hello

On Apr 27, 10:35*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

Hi Helen in Norfolk from Judith who used to live in Norfolk and now
lives in France. *I look forward to hearing about your veggie plots.
Rusty lives in Norfolk and is an expert on a load of stuff, I expect
you will get to know him. *Good Gardening Helen.

Judith

Thanks for the welcome. Appreciated.

You're welcome, urg is a nice place to be and post.

Judith

chris French 28-04-2009 12:17 AM

Just popping to say hello

In message , wafflycat
writes
Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants
and grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a
greater range of veg and to grow things from seed.

Waves

Hi Wafflycat,

welcome,

Happy gardening

(not seen you over on uk.rec.cycling lately)

--
Chris French (Cambridgeshire)

mark 28-04-2009 12:18 AM

Just popping to say hello

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 6:02 pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants and
grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a greater
range of veg and to grow things from seed. Got my strapping son to dig me
couple of veg plots in the garden and I am gradually filling them up.

Cheers, helen s (Norfolk)

Hi Helen in Norfolk from Judith who used to live in Norfolk and now
lives in France. I look forward to hearing about your veggie plots.
Rusty lives in Norfolk and is an expert on a load of stuff, I expect
you will get to know him. Good Gardening Helen.

Judith

Hi Helen.
Welcome to the group. I also live in Norfolk and I'm a trainee expert so
take anything I say with a pinch of salt!

mark

wafflycat 28-04-2009 07:22 AM

Just popping to say hello

"mark" wrote in message
et...

Hi Helen.
Welcome to the group. I also live in Norfolk and I'm a trainee expert so
take anything I say with a pinch of salt!

mark

Thanks! I'm a trainee expert too!

wafflycat 28-04-2009 07:24 AM

Just popping to say hello

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , wafflycat
writes
Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants and
grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a greater
range of veg and to grow things from seed.

Waves

Hi Wafflycat,

welcome,

Happy gardening

(not seen you over on uk.rec.cycling lately)

Hi & thanks.

As much as I love all things pedal cycle, I can't be bothered with the
troll-fest that has ruined urc for me. But enough of that - I'm here to soak
up info on all matters gardening, particularly veg gardening!

Cheers, helen s

--
Chris French (Cambridgeshire)

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 28-04-2009 03:35 PM

Just popping to say hello

The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

So I'm hoping that I should manage to get *something* to the point of
harvest.. but then again, Mother Nature may just bite me on the bum...

Fingers crossed...

Some light ground frosts are forecast for the rest of the week, but
no-one's said where...

--
Rusty

Judith in France 28-04-2009 09:21 PM

Just popping to say hello

On Apr 28, 3:35*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

So I'm hoping that I should manage to get *something* to the point of
harvest.. but then again, Mother Nature may just bite me on the bum...

Fingers crossed...

Some light ground frosts are forecast for the rest of the week, but
no-one's said where...

--
Rusty

Jeez!!! Not here, please, I have planted a load of pots todayy, round
the pool, fingers crossed!?????????

Judith

Judith in France 28-04-2009 09:22 PM

Just popping to say hello

On Apr 28, 12:17*am, chris French
wrote:
In message , wafflycat
writes

Newbie veg gardener here. So hello.

Last year I grew a few salady-type things from bought in small plants
and grew them on. This year is my first year at attempting to grow a
greater range of veg and to grow things from seed.

Waves

Hi Wafflycat,

welcome,

Happy gardening

(not seen you over on uk.rec.cycling lately)

--
Chris French (Cambridgeshire)

Hi Chris, lovely to see you, how are the family and Helen? email if
you want.

Judith

Sacha[_4_] 28-04-2009 10:59 PM

Just popping to say hello

On 2009-04-28 21:21:31 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Apr 28, 3:35*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these

words:

So I'm hoping that I should manage to get *something* to the point of
harvest.. but then again, Mother Nature may just bite me on the bum...

Fingers crossed...

Some light ground frosts are forecast for the rest of the week, but
no-one's said where...

--
Rusty

Jeez!!! Not here, please, I have planted a load of pots todayy, round
the pool, fingers crossed!?????????

Judith

V. mild frost here this morning. No damage but just a bit of a warning
not to be complacent.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

graham 29-04-2009 01:51 AM

Just popping to say hello

On 2009-04-28 21:21:31 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Apr 28, 3:35 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these

words:

So I'm hoping that I should manage to get *something* to the point of
harvest.. but then again, Mother Nature may just bite me on the bum...

Fingers crossed...

Some light ground frosts are forecast for the rest of the week, but
no-one's said where...

--
Rusty

Jeez!!! Not here, please, I have planted a load of pots todayy, round
the pool, fingers crossed!?????????

Judith

V. mild frost here this morning. No damage but just a bit of a warning
not to be complacent.
--

We've had a few snow flurries today but they've had over 75cm just south of
here with more expected!