Old 28-04-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growbags in trays.

Some years ago when I had a greenhouse I grew toms and cukes in growbags.
I've now got a conservatory as my substitute greenhouse and am going to grow
tomatoes in it.
The trays available then were flimsy plastic things with ribs to keep the
growbag off the bottom of the tray and allow for a reservoir of water. This
was accessed by the growbag using wicks pushed into the underside of the
growbag.

I've recently been out hunting for such trays to no avail. The trays I've
got are sturdy plastic with no ribs.
Do I just put the growbag directly into the tray or should I try and raise
them on shingle or strips of wood and use wicks. What do others do?

mark

Old 28-04-2009, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 10:49*am, AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:43:58 +0100, mark wrote:
Some years ago when I had a greenhouse I grew toms and cukes in growbags.
I've now got a conservatory as my substitute greenhouse and am going to grow
tomatoes in it.
The trays available then were flimsy plastic things with ribs to keep the
growbag off the bottom of the tray and allow for a reservoir of water. This
was accessed by the growbag using wicks pushed into the underside of the
growbag.

I've recently been out hunting for such trays to no avail. The trays I've
got are sturdy plastic with no ribs.
Do I just put the growbag directly into the tray or should I try and raise
them on shingle or strips of wood and use wicks. What do others do?

mark

I mainly use large funnels which I insert into the grow bags (two to a bag)
and top up as and when I feel necessary.
--
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few,
and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.

Explain please Val?

Judith
Old 28-04-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 2:48*pm, AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 03:26:46 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
[...]

I'll take a photo sometime and show what I mean
--
Words, once they are printed, have a life of their own.
*~ Carol Burnetthttp://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Thank you, I look forward to it.

Judith
Old 28-04-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Here you gohttp://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x304/ariesval_2007/misc/funnels.jpg

--
What other people think of you is none of your business.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Gotcha!!!!! Silly me, I didn't catch on when you first described it,
thanks Val.

Judith
Old 28-04-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:25:47 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:

Explain please Val?

Judith

I'll take a photo sometime and show what I mean

Thank you, I look forward to it.

Here you go
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...sc/funnels.jpg

It's stuff like this I find interesting & *useful*

Thanks.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 6:14*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
"AriesVal" wrote in message

.. .

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:25:47 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:

Explain please Val?

Judith

I'll take a photo sometime and show what I mean

Thank you, I look forward to it.

Here you go
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...sc/funnels.jpg

It's stuff like this I find interesting & *useful*

Thanks.

Val is more than useful, on a number of subjects; do you have
chickens?

Judith
Old 29-04-2009, 02:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:43:58 +0100, "mark" wrote:

Some years ago when I had a greenhouse I grew toms and cukes in growbags.
I've now got a conservatory as my substitute greenhouse and am going to grow
tomatoes in it.
The trays available then were flimsy plastic things with ribs to keep the
growbag off the bottom of the tray and allow for a reservoir of water. This
was accessed by the growbag using wicks pushed into the underside of the
growbag.

I've recently been out hunting for such trays to no avail. The trays I've
got are sturdy plastic with no ribs.
Do I just put the growbag directly into the tray or should I try and raise
them on shingle or strips of wood and use wicks. What do others do?

I think I've seen what you describe in Wilco's :-)

Derek

Old 29-04-2009, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Val is more than useful, on a number of subjects; do you have
chickens?

Judith

I have two: Anode & Cathode, ex-battery hens. Had them over a year. They lay
*loads* of eggs and are great, fun characters. Ideal for pest control duties
in the garden..

Pizza Dough trays = humidity trays alpickrel Orchids 3 11-09-2009 07:15 PM
growpots in growbags? SH United Kingdom 8 07-02-2008 03:10 PM
Organic growbags anon United Kingdom 24 12-06-2005 01:48 PM
tomatoes in in pots growbags SH United Kingdom 6 07-05-2005 08:27 AM
Growbags and watering Dragon United Kingdom 0 26-08-2003 10:24 PM