GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183118-runner-beans.html)

mark 29-04-2009 10:51 PM

Runner Beans

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Derek Turner 30-04-2009 01:12 AM

Runner Beans

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

K 30-04-2009 08:48 AM

Runner Beans

mark writes
This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

Don't worry, they'll sort themselves out. Just tie them gently to the
canes and they'll do the rest.
--
Kay

K 30-04-2009 08:52 AM

Runner Beans

Derek Turner writes
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

Hmm ... well, one of the wisteria species climbs anticlockwise, another
one clockwise. So does the sun go in different directions in different
places? Possibly N and S hemisphere (it's too early in the morning for
me to think this one through). And runner bean is a S American plant, so
is that N or S hemisphere?

Or to put it another way, I'm not totally convinced that twining
direction depends on the sun's movements.
--
Kay

'Mike'[_4_] 30-04-2009 09:14 AM

Runner Beans

--
.................................................. ..............
"K" wrote in message
Derek Turner writes
[...]

Flanders and Swann had a song

Mike

'Mike'[_4_] 30-04-2009 09:27 AM

Runner Beans

--
.................................................. ..............
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.................................................. .............
"K" wrote in message
Derek Turner writes
[...]

The fragrant Honeysuckle spirals clockwise to the sun
and many other creepers do the same
But some climb anticlockwise,
the Bindweed does for one,
or Convovulus, to give her proper name.
Rooted on either side a door
one of each species grew
and raced up to the window ledge above
Each corkscrewed to the lintel in the only way it knew
where they stopped, touched tendrils, smiled
and fell in love.

Said the right-handed Honeysuckle to the left handed Bindweed
'oh let us get married if our parents don't mind we'd
be loving and inseparable, inextricably entwined we'd
live happily ever after' said the Honeysuckle to the Bindweed.

To the Honeysuckle's parents it came as a shock,
the Bindweeds, they cried, 'are inferior stock,
They're uncultivated, of breeding bereft
We twine to the right and they twine to the left'.

Said the anticlockwise Bindweed to the clockwise Honeysuckle;
'We'd better start saving
Many a mickle mac's a muckle
Then run away on a honeymoon and hope that out luck'll
take a turn for the better', said the Bindweed to the Honeysuckle.

A bee who was passing exclaimed to them then;
'I've said it before and I'll say it again
Consider your offshoots, if offshoots there be,
They'll never receive any blessing from me'.
Poor little sucker, how will it learn
When it is climbing, which way to turn,
Right, Left, what a disgrace
Our it may go straight up and fall flat on its face.

Said the right-hand thread Honeysuckle to the left-hand thread Bindweed
'It seems that against us all fate has combined
Oh my darling, oh my darling
Oh my darling Columbine
thou art lost and gone forever
We shall never intertwine'.

Together they found them, the very next day
They had pulled up their roots and just shrivelled away
Deprived of that freedom for which we must fight
To veer to the left or to veer to the right.

Pam Moore[_2_] 30-04-2009 09:31 AM

Runner Beans

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

In my recollection they go anticlockwise but I haven't even planted
mine yet so I'm relying on memory.

mark

Pam in Bristol

wafflycat 30-04-2009 10:44 AM

Runner Beans

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give
them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

In my recollection they go anticlockwise but I haven't even planted
mine yet so I'm relying on memory.

mark

Pam in Bristol

Just been out to check mine - they are all turning anticlockwise as they
climb upwards.

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 30-04-2009 11:14 AM

Runner Beans

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

Er - not all climbers coil the same way.

Flanders and Swann
# "Said the bindweed to the honeysuckle..."
/Flanders and Swann

--
Rusty

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 30-04-2009 11:16 AM

Runner Beans

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping
about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

In my recollection they go anticlockwise but I haven't even planted
mine yet so I'm relying on memory.

You are correct - they go to the right of the cane and spiral in an
anticlockwise direction.

--
Rusty

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 30-04-2009 01:27 PM

Runner Beans

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, mark wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

Like all plants they follow the light, i.e. the sun. Does that give you
any clues?

All twining plants do not follow the sun, many use quite a different
technique to twine and can be clockwise or anticlockwise, Wisteria is
just one example where two species from the same genus and same
hemisphere twine in different directions. In these cases the most common
method is for the cells on one side to grow faster than the other
imparting a twist to the stem as it grows
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ed 30-04-2009 02:39 PM

Runner Beans

On 30/04/09 10:44, wafflycat wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping
about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

In my recollection they go anticlockwise but I haven't even planted
mine yet so I'm relying on memory.

mark

Pam in Bristol

Just been out to check mine - they are all turning anticlockwise as they
climb upwards.

Mine all go anti-clockwise too!!

They are planted in a row that runs North-South. So, they are not
following the Sun. Exact opposite in fact!!

Then again, which way does your bathwater swirl when you pull the plug?

Are all these things different for the northern and southern hemispheres?

Ed (UK)

Gordon H[_3_] 30-04-2009 04:00 PM

Runner Beans

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

In my recollection they go anticlockwise but I haven't even planted
mine yet so I'm relying on memory.

Pam in Bristol

I think mine did last year, and ISTR having to encourage them by winding
and/or tying them.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Bob Hobden 30-04-2009 06:08 PM

Runner Beans

"mark" wrote ...
This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to
give them the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

You have planted out your Runner Bean plants!! Already? Must be a warm part
of the UK you live in. I haven't even planted our seeds yet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden