GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183134-tree-identification.html)

Sacha[_4_] 27-05-2009 10:24 AM

Tree identification

On 2009-05-27 00:15:10 +0100, james1 jamesjampot@g00glemaildotcom said:

This tree has finally come into flower!!!

Any ideas now??

[image: http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg]

Thanks

I think there's a Crataegus rather like that, isn't there?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

K 27-05-2009 10:35 AM

Tree identification

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-27 00:15:10 +0100, james1 jamesjampot@g00glemaildotcom said:

This tree has finally come into flower!!!
Any ideas now??
[image: http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg]
Thanks

I think there's a Crataegus rather like that, isn't there?

That might be a possibility - I was thinking that the bark wasn't right
for Sorbus (Rowan/Whitebeam), but it does look like Crateagus (hawthorn)
bark.
--
Kay

beccabunga 27-05-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james1 (Post 847415)
This tree has finally come into flower!!!

Any ideas now??

http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg

Thanks

It is some form of hawthorn. There is a variety called the Washington thorn, which has a wide top and brilliant autumn colour. In 25 years I have only found about 10 seedlings off ours, so I suspect it does not often germinate. Those seedlings also occurred when the tree was badly stressed.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 27-05-2009 11:43 AM

Tree identification

In message , K
writes
Sacha writes
On 2009-05-27 00:15:10 +0100, james1 jamesjampot@g00glemaildotcom said:

This tree has finally come into flower!!!
Any ideas now??
[image: http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg]
Thanks

I think there's a Crataegus rather like that, isn't there?

Would you be thinking of Crataegus x prunifolia?

That might be a possibility - I was thinking that the bark wasn't right
for Sorbus (Rowan/Whitebeam), but it does look like Crateagus
(hawthorn) bark.

Perhaps we need an indication of scale. But as I recall the original
photograph was of a big tree, and as far as I know no thorns get that
big.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_4_] 27-05-2009 08:16 PM

Tree identification

On 2009-05-27 10:36:52 +0100, beccabunga
said:

james1;847415 Wrote:
This tree has finally come into flower!!!

Any ideas now??

[image: http://i44.tinypic.com/e67xas.jpg]

Thanks

It is some form of hawthorn. There is a variety called the Washington
thorn, which has a wide top and brilliant autumn colour. In 25 years I
have only found about 10 seedlings off ours, so I suspect it does not
often germinate. Those seedlings also occurred when the tree was badly
stressed.

I've hunted around a bit and wonder if it's C. lavalleii? The height
doesn't seem right though, going by the earlier pics.