Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Small paving slab source

I'm looking to form some narrow paths in my garden and not wanting to
lose much planting area. I thought it would be easy to buy basic
concrete slabs 300 mm square but suppliers are all coming back saying
minimum size is 450mm square.

Has anyone found a source from a chain that might have a branch near me
in southampton area?

TIA

Bob
Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-01, Bob Minchin wrote:
I'm looking to form some narrow paths in my garden and not wanting to
lose much planting area. I thought it would be easy to buy basic
concrete slabs 300 mm square but suppliers are all coming back saying
minimum size is 450mm square.

Has anyone found a source from a chain that might have a branch near me
in southampton area?

I got mine in Wickes, and they're not too badly priced if you just
want them for paths. Their store locator seems to suggest they've got a
store in southampton.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Buxton-Pavin...ng/invt/154445

Travis Perkins might be worth a try as well, but I can't seem to coax
aything useful out of their website.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-01, Bob Minchin wrote:
I'm looking to form some narrow paths in my garden and not wanting to
lose much planting area. I thought it would be easy to buy basic
concrete slabs 300 mm square but suppliers are all coming back saying
minimum size is 450mm square.

Has anyone found a source from a chain that might have a branch near me
in southampton area?

I got mine in Wickes, and they're not too badly priced if you just
want them for paths. Their store locator seems to suggest they've got a
store in southampton.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Buxton-Pavin...ng/invt/154445

Travis Perkins might be worth a try as well, but I can't seem to coax
aything useful out of their website.

-Paul

Thanks Paul,

I rang TP and they were one of the suppliers who said 450 minimum
I also looked at wickes and whilst they have the fancy priced stone
ones. I'm looking for plain grey concrete ones.

So I'm still searching

Bob
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-01, Bob Minchin wrote:

I rang TP and they were one of the suppliers who said 450 minimum
I also looked at wickes and whilst they have the fancy priced stone
ones. I'm looking for plain grey concrete ones.

Those ones I linked to are concrete, and they come in dark grey,
yellow and pink. I've got the yellow ones, and there's no way
you could possibly mistake them for stone ;-)

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-01, Bob Minchin wrote:
I rang TP and they were one of the suppliers who said 450 minimum
I also looked at wickes and whilst they have the fancy priced stone
ones. I'm looking for plain grey concrete ones.

Those ones I linked to are concrete, and they come in dark grey,
yellow and pink. I've got the yellow ones, and there's no way
you could possibly mistake them for stone ;-)

-Paul

OK Thanks Paul,

I don't want to seem churlish after your efforts to find some solutions
for me but I was hoping for something significantly cheaper as I need
about 75 of them.
I expect I'll go for 600 mm utility ones and cut em up.

Bob

Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Minchin wrote:

I'm looking to form some narrow paths in my garden and not wanting to
lose much planting area. I thought it would be easy to buy basic
concrete slabs 300 mm square but suppliers are all coming back saying
minimum size is 450mm square.

Has anyone found a source from a chain that might have a branch near me
in southampton area?

Alexandra Stone here in Leics. are the best for slabs, but obviously too
far from you. 300mm square slabs are widely available.
450mm is the cheapest (by area) usually, as they are the most common
size now, but there are numerous other sizes available, and any builders
merchants who doesnt keep them should be able to get them in quite
easily.
A quick search shows Wickes keep them in stock in various colours:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Cleaners+Str...l-Paving/invt/
153980

Plain grey flat slabs should be available cheaper than that if you buy
from a builders merchant. I generally pay £100 - 150 for 9 square metres
of riven, mixed sized slabs.
Alan.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-01, Bob Minchin wrote:
I rang TP and they were one of the suppliers who said 450 minimum
I also looked at wickes and whilst they have the fancy priced stone
ones. I'm looking for plain grey concrete ones.

Those ones I linked to are concrete, and they come in dark grey, yellow
and pink. I've got the yellow ones, and there's no way
you could possibly mistake them for stone ;-)

-Paul

OK Thanks Paul,

I don't want to seem churlish after your efforts to find some solutions
for me but I was hoping for something significantly cheaper as I need
about 75 of them.
I expect I'll go for 600 mm utility ones and cut em up.

Bob

How about looking on eBay and Freecycle, too?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jbm jbm is offline

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
| I'm looking to form some narrow paths in my garden and not wanting to
| lose much planting area. I thought it would be easy to buy basic
| concrete slabs 300 mm square but suppliers are all coming back saying
| minimum size is 450mm square.
|
| Has anyone found a source from a chain that might have a branch near me
| in southampton area?
|
| TIA
|
| Bob

How about looking around the recycling traders (not council tips). Footpath
edgings are fairly common and are 900 x 150 mm - two laid flat together
gives you the required width, and come in plain grey. Otherwise price them
up in your local builder's merchants.

jim, Northampton

Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-02, Bob Minchin wrote:

I don't want to seem churlish after your efforts to find some solutions
for me but I was hoping for something significantly cheaper as I need
about 75 of them.

Sorry Bob, my fault. The ones I linked to don't appear to be the ones
I had in mind (hurrah for web based product catalogues with small images!)

I went out and measured the ones in my garden and they were actually 400mm,
and match these ones (for a more reasonable £1.50 a slab)
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Derby-Paving...ng/invt/224700

So both the wrong size, and the wrong product, and possibly still a little
more expensive than they could be if you're wanting 75 of them :-)

I expect I'll go for 600 mm utility ones and cut em up.

Having invested in an angle grinder at the weekend to assist in the removal
of some whopping great concrete fenceposts, I think I'd probably opt
for that option too! It's quite possibly my second favourite powertool.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Old 06-05-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.uk...
On 2009-05-02, Bob Minchin wrote:

I expect I'll go for 600 mm utility ones and cut em up.

Having invested in an angle grinder at the weekend to assist in the
removal
of some whopping great concrete fenceposts, I think I'd probably opt
for that option too! It's quite possibly my second favourite powertool.

If you do start cutting up slabs with an angle grinder pop into an Aldi and
buy one of their diamond cutting disks. I bought one 4 years ago and have
cut a lot of not only concrete but also much harder black stone with one. It
just keeps on cutting whatever I attack with it and is not yet showing any
signs of wear. Certainly a lot cheaper than the fibre cutting disks I used
to use.

Mike

Question for Ray: slab to S/H dd Orchids 6 03-09-2004 05:02 PM
Concrete slab dip Dave Lawns 4 25-07-2004 11:02 AM
lifting paving slab hillier United Kingdom 4 13-02-2004 09:40 PM
Plants growing through the floor slab Louise United Kingdom 3 09-08-2003 03:13 PM
Need help with slab for my return to pond John Hines Ponds 0 21-05-2003 06:20 PM