GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Effective way of getting rid of chickweed ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183223-effective-way-getting-rid-chickweed.html)

Vegegrower 02-05-2009 08:16 PM

Effective way of getting rid of chickweed ?

I've read that an effective way to remove chickweed is to burn it down to soil level
with a small blow torch.

Provided I don't harm any of my vege crops, this seems a logical way to do it as I don't have to try and pick at the small weed stems.

Does any one have a good reason why I shouldn't do this ?

Pam Moore[_2_] 02-05-2009 10:35 PM

Effective way of getting rid of chickweed ?

On Sat, 2 May 2009 20:16:33 +0100, Vegegrower
wrote:

I've read that an effective way to remove chickweed is to burn it down
to soil level
with a small blow torch.

Provided I don't harm any of my vege crops, this seems a logical way to
do it as I don't have to try and pick at the small weed stems.

Does any one have a good reason why I shouldn't do this ?

It hoes up so easily, or even just pulls out.
You can eat it you know!
You could only burn it off if there was nothing growing nearby, in
which case it's better all round to hoe. It will come again but it
has no deep roots and is a very benign weed.
Or get some ducks!

Pam in Bristol

Pete C[_2_] 02-05-2009 10:52 PM

wrote:

I've read that an effective way to remove chickweed is to burn it
down to soil level
with a small blow torch.

Provided I don't harm any of my vege crops, this seems a logical way
to do it as I don't have to try and pick at the small weed stems.

Does any one have a good reason why I shouldn't do this ?

It hoes up so easily, or even just pulls out.
You can eat it you know!
You could only burn it off if there was nothing growing nearby, in
which case it's better all round to hoe. It will come again but it
has no deep roots and is a very benign weed.
Or get some ducks!

Pam in Bristol

Budgies and bunnies love it :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Tim Jesson 03-05-2009 12:06 AM

"Vegegrower" wrote in message

I've read that an effective way to remove chickweed is to burn it
down
to soil level
with a small blow torch.

Provided I don't harm any of my vege crops, this seems a logical way
do it as I don't have to try and pick at the small weed stems.

Does any one have a good reason why I shouldn't do this ?

--
Vegegrower

Cheaper, easier, quicker to either hoe or hand weed. Unless you have 3
acres of chickweed that is :-)

It's an annual and is easily destroyed/removed.

TJ

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 03-05-2009 01:41 PM

Effective way of getting rid of chickweed ?

The message
from Vegegrower contains these words:

I've read that an effective way to remove chickweed is to burn it down
to soil level
with a small blow torch.

Provided I don't harm any of my vege crops, this seems a logical way to
do it as I don't have to try and pick at the small weed stems.

Does any one have a good reason why I shouldn't do this ?

It's rather good in salads, and can be cooked and used rather like spinach?

--
Rusty