Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia

"Spider" wrote in message news:...

"Sacha" wrote in message
That Deutzia you gave us is now in a very large pot and looking lovely.
Ray's taking cuttings from it but we're no closer to its ID - did you
ever get that, I wonder? A Grevillea, on the corner of a raised bed with
a stone retaining wall, has died and when we can cut it down, I think
'your' Deutzia could look rather good there. We can't do anything yet,
however, as a blackbird has chosen to nest right in the middle of this
very tatty looking dead shrub!
Hope our Weigela coraeensis is behaving itself - one of my very favourite
plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Hi Sacha,

I'm glad you're enjoying the Deutzia. Alas, we still haven't discovered
what it is. It came from Hillier's gc many years ago, and we ought to
call in there again with a cutting to see if they can name it. It was
supposed to be Deutzia setchuenensis corymbiflora, but they sent the wrong
one. Trouble is, ours is a bit like lots of the laxer Deutzias, and every
time I think I've got it sussed, I see another slightly more like it.

Interestingly, I've got mine growing in a raised bed,too. It shows it off
beautifully, and it seems to enjoy it there. The bees seem attracted to
it, too, which is always a plus with us. How is Ray propagating it?
Apart from layering (which it does on its own:~)), I've never got it to
strike. Is Ray using rooting hormone? I never did.

Your Weigela is certainly behaving itself, thank you. It's building up to
flowering, so it will be a treat in a few weeks time. It really is
charming and most unusual with its two-tone flowers. I am really pleased
with it.

We'd love to visit Devon and your establishment again, but we are having
to cram in visits to Yorkshire as often as we can, to see my father. He
is a brilliant and very keen gardener but, tragically, he's lost the use
of his legs due to a wear-and-tear spinal injury. We visit -and help
out - as often as we can, but it limits time for other jaunts. One day,
hopefully, we'll call on you again.

Well, I'm off into the garden again now. Later on, I'll check in here
*and* have a look at Hillier's web site (don't know why I've never thought
of it before!) to see if I can ID the Deutzia. Enjoy your blackbird. It
may be there most of the summer; don't the thrushes generally have two
broods a year? :~)

Spider

PS: I didn't have any luck with Hillier's website, perhaps because it's
wholesale related. I thought I'd remembered a retail outlet there; if so,
it's either closed or is strictly for the Ampfield, Romsey site.

PPS: Richard (the Husband Thingy) tried to email you directly recently, but
appears to have failed. I wonder if you would be kind enough to send your
(presumably new?) private email address to my private email address (which
is unchanged). Ta ever so :~)

Spider

Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

In case Sacha cannot see Spider's posts for some reason, I have quoted
it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Fuchsia. Very kind of you. :~). Let's hope she gets it now.

Spider

Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I'll email you with the proper address and so forth.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-03 18:06:34 +0100, Fuschia said:

On Sun, 3 May 2009 12:34:17 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:
snip
PS: I didn't have any luck with Hillier's website, perhaps because it's
wholesale related. I thought I'd remembered a retail outlet there; if so,
it's either closed or is strictly for the Ampfield, Romsey site.

PPS: Richard (the Husband Thingy) tried to email you directly recently, but
appears to have failed. I wonder if you would be kind enough to send your
(presumably new?) private email address to my private email address (which
is unchanged). Ta ever so :~)

Spider

In case Sacha cannot see Spider's posts for some reason, I have quoted
it.

Thanks and yes, I did see it this time. I've changed news readers and
I think the original post got lost somewhere in the middle of the
muddle. ;-))

Deutzia David Hill United Kingdom 34 29-06-2012 03:23 PM
Reposted: Pebbles etc! Candy United Kingdom 0 06-04-2009 04:53 PM
Canna Lilies Niagara Falls ON - reposted smaller size Wolf Kirchmeir[_2_] Garden Photos 2 18-11-2007 10:11 PM
Ah! Spider! BIG Spider! The Ranger Edible Gardening 9 01-09-2005 04:20 AM
Deutzia scarba (Codsall pink) B & J Gardening 1 16-07-2003 08:24 AM