GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Caterpillars on Gooseberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183261-caterpillars-gooseberries.html)

mark 03-05-2009 08:32 PM

Caterpillars on Gooseberries

I have discovered hundreds of small caterpillars munching their way through
my gooseberry leaves. A strong solution of Fairy and Sarson's wasn't that
effective when I sprayed them with it yesterday as loads remained today.
Any other remedies?

mark

Pam Moore[_2_] 03-05-2009 09:55 PM

On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:32:03 +0100, "mark" wrote:

I have discovered hundreds of small caterpillars munching their way through
my gooseberry leaves. A strong solution of Fairy and Sarson's wasn't that
effective when I sprayed them with it yesterday as loads remained today.
Any other remedies?

Look up gooseberry sawfly.
Try squirting them off with a very strong jet from the hose.

mark

Pam in Bristol

Rod[_1_] 04-05-2009 05:58 PM

Caterpillars on Gooseberries

"mark" wrote in message
et...
I have discovered hundreds of small caterpillars munching their way
through my gooseberry leaves. A strong solution of Fairy and
Sarson's wasn't that effective when I sprayed them with it yesterday
as loads remained today. Any other remedies?

mark

Finger and thumb and sharp eyes - it works but you need to get your
eye in and to be persistent
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

mark 04-05-2009 06:03 PM

Caterpillars on Gooseberries

"Rod" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
et...
I have discovered hundreds of small caterpillars munching their way
through my gooseberry leaves. A strong solution of Fairy and Sarson's
wasn't that effective when I sprayed them with it yesterday as loads
remained today. Any other remedies?

mark

Finger and thumb and sharp eyes - it works but you need to get your eye in
and to be persistent
--

I ended up with this method but the gooseberries fight back and I have
lacerated hands to show for it.

mark

shazzbat 04-05-2009 07:39 PM

Caterpillars on Gooseberries

"mark" wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
et...
I have discovered hundreds of small caterpillars munching their way
through my gooseberry leaves. A strong solution of Fairy and Sarson's
wasn't that effective when I sprayed them with it yesterday as loads
remained today. Any other remedies?

mark

Finger and thumb and sharp eyes - it works but you need to get your eye
in and to be persistent
--

I ended up with this method but the gooseberries fight back and I have
lacerated hands to show for it.

Precisely why we've just planted "Pax" gooseberries. Thornless!!

Steve