Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trouble growing Lily of the Valley

I don't know why this did not occur to me before when we were talking
about LotV, but on my way back from the greenhouse just now I passed a
container that nudged my memory.
While sorting out one of my cold frames a few weeks ago I came across
several small pots of LotV that I had potted up last year but did not
get sold. Not needing any more in the garden, I stuck them all in an
empty container. They are now thriving and just coming on to bloom. Of
course I cannot say yet if they will continue to do well there but I
don't see why not. So if you have a garden that will not accept LotV
why not try them in a container?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 13:05:16 +0100, moghouse said:

I don't know why this did not occur to me before when we were talking
about LotV, but on my way back from the greenhouse just now I passed a
container that nudged my memory.
While sorting out one of my cold frames a few weeks ago I came across
several small pots of LotV that I had potted up last year but did not
get sold. Not needing any more in the garden, I stuck them all in an
empty container. They are now thriving and just coming on to bloom. Of
course I cannot say yet if they will continue to do well there but I
don't see why not. So if you have a garden that will not accept LotV
why not try them in a container?

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 13:05:16 +0100, moghouse said:

I don't know why this did not occur to me before when we were talking
about LotV, but on my way back from the greenhouse just now I passed a
container that nudged my memory.
While sorting out one of my cold frames a few weeks ago I came across
several small pots of LotV that I had potted up last year but did not
get sold. Not needing any more in the garden, I stuck them all in an
empty container. They are now thriving and just coming on to bloom. Of
course I cannot say yet if they will continue to do well there but I
don't see why not. So if you have a garden that will not accept LotV
why not try them in a container?

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

You should be reported to the RSPCLofV!

--
Jeff

Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 7, 2:12*pm, Sacha wrote:

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. *I'll let you know next
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 7, 2:12 pm, Sacha wrote:

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

The bed our Lily of the Valley is in, is well composted, BUT, they are
escaping to the gravel path which has a broken brick/rubbish hardcore base.

Sorry if you don't believe me, but it's true, despite the poison tongues
:-))

Mike

Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 13:05:16 +0100, moghouse said:

I don't know why this did not occur to me before when we were talking
about LotV, but on my way back from the greenhouse just now I passed a
container that nudged my memory.
While sorting out one of my cold frames a few weeks ago I came across
several small pots of LotV that I had potted up last year but did not
get sold. Not needing any more in the garden, I stuck them all in an
empty container. They are now thriving and just coming on to bloom. Of
course I cannot say yet if they will continue to do well there but I
don't see why not. So if you have a garden that will not accept LotV
why not try them in a container?

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

You should be reported to the RSPCLofV!

They deserve it, I tell you!! ;-) No more Mrs Nice!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 17:13:44 +0100, moghouse said:

On May 7, 2:12*pm, Sacha wrote:

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. *I'll let you know next
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 7, 7:06*pm, Sacha wrote:
I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. *I'll let you know next
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

I was thinking more in terms of if you could build a brick wall half
way across the container - mine are real garden wall huggers.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 19:18:39 +0100, moghouse said:

On May 7, 7:06*pm, Sacha wrote:
I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. *I'll let you know ne

xt
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

I was thinking more in terms of if you could build a brick wall half
way across the container - mine are real garden wall huggers.

We've planted them in a small, shaded bed with shallow soil against a
hedge; an open bed which is well-drained and raised with good, deep
soil; a south facing bed among shrubs and moist-ish; a very narrow bed
of totally shaded, poor soil up against the house wall facing east bed.
I've done everything with the damned things other than throw them
over my left shoulder while reciting To Be or Not To Be and garotting a
frog with my right hand. In other gardens I've more or less repeated
these attempts and I can only conclude that even while my favourite
perfume is Diorissimo (gentlemen may care to Google this) the darned
things will not repay the compliment!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 19:18:39 +0100, moghouse
said:
On May 7, 7:06 pm, Sacha wrote:
I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of
rubble and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let
you know ne xt year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

I was thinking more in terms of if you could build a brick wall half
way across the container - mine are real garden wall huggers.

We've planted them in a small, shaded bed with shallow soil against a
hedge; an open bed which is well-drained and raised with good, deep
soil; a south facing bed among shrubs and moist-ish; a very narrow bed
of totally shaded, poor soil up against the house wall facing east
bed. I've done everything with the damned things other than throw
them over my left shoulder while reciting To Be or Not To Be and garotting
a frog with my right hand.

You cannot be serious!!! The one thing..................

Old 07-05-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 7, 7:06 pm, Sacha wrote:
I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

I was thinking more in terms of if you could build a brick wall half
way across the container - mine are real garden wall huggers.

Is the wall on the north side of the garden?

Cos LOTV always travel north.

Alan

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 19:18:39 +0100, moghouse
said:
On May 7, 7:06 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

You see - I knew there was something........!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 21:23:13 +0100, "alan.holmes" said:

"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 7, 7:06 pm, Sacha wrote:
I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

I was thinking more in terms of if you could build a brick wall half
way across the container - mine are real garden wall huggers.

Is the wall on the north side of the garden?

Cos LOTV always travel north.

Alan

Honestly, Alan, they have had the choice of the whole damned compass
here. And yes, one of them was northing facing - we didn't get so much
as a leaf!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 7, 7:29*pm, Sacha wrote:

We've planted them in a small, shaded bed with shallow soil against a
hedge; an open bed which is well-drained and raised with good, deep
soil; a south facing bed among shrubs and moist-ish; a very narrow bed
of totally shaded, poor soil up against the house wall facing east bed.
* I've done everything with the damned things other than throw them
over my left shoulder while reciting To Be or Not To Be and garotting a
frog with my right hand. *In other gardens I've more or less repeated
these attempts and I can only conclude that even while my favourite
perfume is Diorissimo (gentlemen may care to Google this) the darned
things will not repay the compliment!

No point in me suggesting the full moon ritual, planting them standing
on one leg with an incantation to the goddess Lily, then?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 13:05:16 +0100, moghouse said:

I don't know why this did not occur to me before when we were talking
about LotV, but on my way back from the greenhouse just now I passed a
container that nudged my memory.
While sorting out one of my cold frames a few weeks ago I came across
several small pots of LotV that I had potted up last year but did not
get sold. Not needing any more in the garden, I stuck them all in an
empty container. They are now thriving and just coming on to bloom. Of
course I cannot say yet if they will continue to do well there but I
don't see why not. So if you have a garden that will not accept LotV
why not try them in a container?

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

Bulbs?! If you've got bulbs rather than rhizomes ("pips") then I'm not
surprised you haven't got LofV coming up! Any chance of you getting some
"in the green" and planting those? At least you'll know you've got healthy
stock.

--
Jeff

Lily Of The Valley - Planting Advice Sought Mike B United Kingdom 14 08-11-2004 11:03 AM
Lily of the Valley Gardening 13 25-05-2004 02:03 AM
Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Lily of the Valley Leslie Stringer United Kingdom 16 30-09-2003 08:13 PM