GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cocoa Mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183384-cocoa-mulch.html)

Ophelia[_4_] 07-05-2009 03:51 PM

Cocoa Mulch

Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US saying it
is toxic to animals.

'Mike'[_4_] 07-05-2009 04:04 PM

Cocoa Mulch

--
..
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US saying
it is toxic to animals.

and it stinks when wet then goes very musty.

Don't touch it with a barge pole.

But then you won't believe anything I say, so go and buy tons and cover your
garden :-((

Kindest possible regards

Mike

'Mike'[_4_] 07-05-2009 04:09 PM

Cocoa Mulch

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US saying
it is toxic to animals.

and it stinks when wet then goes very musty.

Don't touch it with a barge pole.

But then you won't believe anything I say, so go and buy tons and cover
your garden :-((

Kindest possible regards

Mike

Google Cocoa Mulch, amongst many threads is
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Used to be marketed in this country as 'Sunshine from Africa' from Afton
Lodge here on the Isle of Wight. When I was in business I did some work for
them on their telephone systems

But no one will believe that of me because of the poison tongues :-))

Kindest regards losers

Mike

Gary Woods 07-05-2009 04:40 PM

Cocoa Mulch

"Ophelia" wrote:

Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US saying it
is toxic to animals.

It is, especially dogs, but is also very unappealing to them. More than
you ever wanted to know at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Ophelia[_4_] 07-05-2009 05:43 PM

Cocoa Mulch

Gary Woods wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote:

Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US
saying it is toxic to animals.

It is, especially dogs, but is also very unappealing to them. More
than
you ever wanted to know at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

Thank you, Gary:)

Fuschia[_3_] 07-05-2009 07:00 PM

Cocoa Mulch

On Thu, 7 May 2009 17:43:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Gary Woods wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote:

Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US
saying it is toxic to animals.

It is, especially dogs, but is also very unappealing to them. More
than
you ever wanted to know at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

Thank you, Gary:)

We have used a lot of cocoa mulch. The dogs and cats ignore it.
Squirrels and mice seem attracted to it and I've seen it stuck on
hedgehog spines but I don't know if any of them they actually eat it.
We have never noticed any harm to any of them.

Ophelia[_4_] 07-05-2009 07:41 PM

Cocoa Mulch

wrote:

Gary Woods wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote:

Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US
saying it is toxic to animals.

It is, especially dogs, but is also very unappealing to them. More
than
you ever wanted to know at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

Thank you, Gary:)

We have used a lot of cocoa mulch. The dogs and cats ignore it.
Squirrels and mice seem attracted to it and I've seen it stuck on
hedgehog spines but I don't know if any of them they actually eat it.
We have never noticed any harm to any of them.

Good!! Very good to know!

beccabunga 10-05-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ophelia[_4_] (Post 843404)
Fuschia wrote:
On Thu, 7 May 2009 17:43:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Gary Woods wrote:
"Ophelia"
wrote:

Anyone heard of this stuff? I just had a mail from a friend in US
saying it is toxic to animals.

It is, especially dogs, but is also very unappealing to them. More
than
you ever wanted to know at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

Thank you, Gary:)

We have used a lot of cocoa mulch. The dogs and cats ignore it.
Squirrels and mice seem attracted to it and I've seen it stuck on
hedgehog spines but I don't know if any of them they actually eat it.
We have never noticed any harm to any of them.

Good!! Very good to know!

How about foxes? They are an absolute pest in a London garden and the owner is desperate. He is about to buy a rifle but so far we have dissuaded him.

Ophelia[_4_] 10-05-2009 09:39 PM

Cocoa Mulch

beccabunga wrote:
How about foxes? They are an absolute pest in a London garden and the
owner is desperate. He is about to buy a rifle but so far we have
dissuaded him.

NO! Not legally anyway. You would have to use at least a .22LR and the
police would take a very dim view.

Sacha[_4_] 10-05-2009 10:55 PM

Cocoa Mulch

On 2009-05-10 21:39:16 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

beccabunga wrote:
How about foxes? They are an absolute pest in a London garden and the
owner is desperate. He is about to buy a rifle but so far we have
dissuaded him.

NO! Not legally anyway. You would have to use at least a .22LR and the
police would take a very dim view.

I wonder if he has the least idea how far a rifle bullet travels!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Ophelia[_4_] 11-05-2009 07:35 AM

Cocoa Mulch

beccabunga 11-05-2009 01:10 PM

It was not an entirely serious suggestion - though he probably does have some idea of what one can do since his father is a firearms expert.

But I would still be interested to know if cocoa mulch will put off foxxes.

Christina Websell 31-05-2009 09:07 PM

Cocoa Mulch

"beccabunga" wrote in message

" -
beccabunga wrote:-
How about foxes? They are an absolute pest in a London garden and the
owner is desperate.

I am sure there are pest controllers in the area that can help