GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onions and Leeks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183387-onions-leeks.html)

Therefore 07-05-2009 06:15 PM

Onions and Leeks

Can anybody help

I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

David in Normandy[_8_] 07-05-2009 09:38 PM

Onions and Leeks

Therefore wrote:
Can anybody help

I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings which are
about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

I'd expect the onions to have a slight swelling at the base where the
bulbs will form, but for the leeks to have none.

Jiri B[_3_] 07-05-2009 11:12 PM

Onions and Leeks

On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:38:28 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

Therefore wrote:
Can anybody help

I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings which are
about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

I'd expect the onions to have a slight swelling at the base where the
bulbs will form, but for the leeks to have none.

This may become more evident with passage of time.

Also the leeks may be marginally more slender generally, and their
foliage could veer ever so slightly towards the blue compared with the
onions.
However, I am talking here about JNDs (Just Noticeable Difference),
which is a terminus technicus gleaned from a book on perception!

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.

K 07-05-2009 11:23 PM

Onions and Leeks

Therefore writes
Can anybody help

I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings which are
about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

Don't know whether you can tell yet, but aren't leek leaves flat?
whereas onion leaves are hollow and rounded.
--
Kay