Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holly leaves turning yellow

We've got a smooth-leafed holly (no pricks - no giggling at the back of the
classroom please!) in a half-barrel on the patio against the south facing
wall of the house. It's been there for about 5 years, flowers furiously and
produces loads of berries (the blackbirds love it!).

Being in a wooden barrel, and being in the sun a lot it needs a lot of
water (we lost one through drying out [we think], this is the replacement).

In the last few weeks we've got a lot of yellow leaves, which are now
dropping. It's still in flower, but looking very poorly. We feed it with
either (or both) blood fish & bone and general slow-release fertiliser in
the Spring.

Does holly just fizzle out? Or are we doing something wrong? The Mrs
wondered if it would be better in ericaceous compost, but I doubt it. Pot
bound maybe? Annoyingly the 'weed' hollies that we were given and that we
stuffed in small plastic pots and have ignored for years behind the
greenhouse are thriving.

Thoughts? We'd really like to keep this one alive as it was a gift from a
now deceased parent.

Al.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-10 19:34:29 +0100, Al said:

[...]

I suspect over-watering. Is the barrel raised up so that water can
drain freely?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials