Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default will leeks grow in pots 10.5" deep?

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

Is using pots only this deep feasible? My only outside space is paved so
containers are my only option.

The leeks are currently in a tiny container but have reached the point
where they need repotting.

Thanks a lot,

Tom
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:06:44 +0100, Tom wrote:

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

I've often wondered. Is there any alternative to a layer of crocks or
stones in the bottom of pots?

I'm thinking an open nylon mesh or a zinc mesh in variously-sized
grids which could be cut to size. Has anyone invented this yet, or
should I?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 11-05-2009, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:06:44 +0100, Tom wrote:

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

I've often wondered. Is there any alternative to a layer of crocks or
stones in the bottom of pots?

I'm thinking an open nylon mesh or a zinc mesh in variously-sized
grids which could be cut to size. Has anyone invented this yet, or
should I?

If you put a wad of newspaper in the bottom, it will hold the soil in,
hopefully long enough for the roots to bind the soil.

Steve

Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 May 2009 19:41:17 +0100, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:06:44 +0100, Tom wrote:

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

I've often wondered. Is there any alternative to a layer of crocks or
stones in the bottom of pots?

I'm thinking an open nylon mesh or a zinc mesh in variously-sized
grids which could be cut to size. Has anyone invented this yet, or
should I?

The net bags which oranges come in are good.
On Gardeners' World Alys put a used teabag in the bottom of a pot!
In the Titchmarsh days I saw a report somewhere saying "Alan puts
rocks in the bottom of his pots"! I think a 'c' got missed out!

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you put a wad of newspaper in the bottom, it will hold the soil in,
hopefully long enough for the roots to bind the soil.

Steve

I would agree with Steve, that a wad of newspaper will be enoughto keep the
compost in place until the roots bind it, the problem is likely to be the
other way round, that you must space the leeks out by several inches
depending on the variety, and how big you want them to grow, so you wont get
many leeks in a pot. You might be able to get a more suitable container if
you look around, perhaps a pile of old motor tyres? or the buckets that
chicken manure comes in??

Good luck with your leeks, I have memories of my geordie grandfather comming
home from his allotment with a leek over his shoulder!

John

Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ writes
On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:06:44 +0100, Tom wrote:

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

I've often wondered. Is there any alternative to a layer of crocks or
stones in the bottom of pots?

The layer of stones or crocks is as much to improve drainage as it is to
stop soil falling through the holes. I don't bother with it, and I think
a lot of people don't nowadays.

I'm thinking an open nylon mesh or a zinc mesh in variously-sized
grids which could be cut to size. Has anyone invented this yet, or
should I?

I've used zinc mesh before. Can't remember any problems with it.

--
Kay
Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
writes

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:06:44 +0100, Tom wrote:

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

I've often wondered. Is there any alternative to a layer of crocks or
stones in the bottom of pots?

I'm thinking an open nylon mesh or a zinc mesh in variously-sized
grids which could be cut to size. Has anyone invented this yet, or
should I?

If you put a wad of newspaper in the bottom, it will hold the soil in,
hopefully long enough for the roots to bind the soil.

Steve

That's what I use, just a double layer.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've
got are pretty big).

Is using pots only this deep feasible? My only outside space is
paved so containers are my only option.

The leeks are currently in a tiny container but have reached the
point where they need repotting.

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Answering in a more general way, Tom, container-grown leeks seem to
have a nasty habit of attracting every bit of stray dust and grit into
the leaf roll. I have no idea why this is as I've tried siting them
all over. If you don't mind working your way through this
inconvenience then pots are a great way to grow leeks.

I use 12" 17 litre polypots with well compacted soil/compost mix which
has stood for a month to become strong enough to maintain dibbed
holes. Cardboard toilet roll holders work well as you can imagine. Cut
the leeks down by a third, chop the roots a bit and drop them into the
holes. As long as the soil at the bottom is not too compacted they'll
root unfussily and be basically maintenance free til cropping. The
cardboard will maintain its form long enough for the soil to hold
shape even if it composts away.

I can't remember how many you can get in a pot like this but it ain't
many. The leeks grow strongly til late Summer, stand forever (it
seems) and then blast away as it warms up next spring. As long as they
are well watered AFTER winter they don't run to seed or do anything
odd. However, they are more likely to run to seed in pots than the
ground.

Leeks have few enemies - even in pots it would seem. They don't need
particularly rich soil.

That's just about everything I know about leeks!! Apart from the fact
that Musselburgh are the best and I like eating them :-)

Good luck.

TJ

Old 17-05-2009, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ writes
On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:06:44 +0100, Tom wrote:

I'll need to put stones at the bottom (the holes in the pots I've got
are pretty big).

I've often wondered. Is there any alternative to a layer of crocks or
stones in the bottom of pots?

The layer of stones or crocks is as much to improve drainage as it is to
stop soil falling through the holes. I don't bother with it, and I think a
lot of people don't nowadays.

I'm thinking an open nylon mesh or a zinc mesh in variously-sized
grids which could be cut to size. Has anyone invented this yet, or
should I?

I've used zinc mesh before. Can't remember any problems with it.

I have used broken up polystyrene several times which worked fine, also
teabags for a quick fix for something I'd be planting out fairly soon.

Tina