Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default keeping tomato plants in constricted height

We have been given a couple of tomatoe plants that we would like to keep on
a south facing kitchen window sill. The height of the window is 32 inches
and they are already two thirds the height of the window frame.

Not knowing what tomato plants they are we dont know how high exactly they
will grow, but we think they will easily outgrow the window frame.

Since we want to keep them there in that location, are there any tips for a
novice on pruning, other than just cut the top off; when it reaches the top
of the frame?

Would it make sense to try bending them over, to try to keep some of the
length of the plant?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , john martin
writes
We have been given a couple of tomatoe plants that we would like to keep on
a south facing kitchen window sill. The height of the window is 32 inches
and they are already two thirds the height of the window frame.

Not knowing what tomato plants they are we dont know how high exactly they
will grow, but we think they will easily outgrow the window frame.

Since we want to keep them there in that location, are there any tips for a
novice on pruning, other than just cut the top off; when it reaches the top
of the frame?

Would it make sense to try bending them over, to try to keep some of the
length of the plant?

I'm growing three plants in the same situation, although I have 42"
headroom. I intend to pinch out the new growth above the third
truss of flowers opens.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Gordon H wrote:
john martin writes
We have been given a couple of tomatoe plants that we would like to keep on
a south facing kitchen window sill. The height of the window is 32
inches
and they are already two thirds the height of the window frame.

Not knowing what tomato plants they are we dont know how high exactly they
will grow, but we think they will easily outgrow the window frame.

Since we want to keep them there in that location, are there any tips for a
novice on pruning, other than just cut the top off; when it reaches the top
of the frame?

I'm growing three plants in the same situation, although I have 42"
headroom. I intend to pinch out the new growth above the third
truss of flowers opens.

I would pinch them out just below the fourth truss.
That is, leave a bit of growth above the third truss.

Keep your hands of my truss, young lady!
On second thoughts . . .

I noticed rather late that two of my plants had bifurcated, and ISTR
that it is best to keep only the main stem for flowering.
Anyway, I cut one of 'em off, as it looked like one of those
"in-between" shoots which are supposed to be pinched out as soon as they
appear.
The Alicante was the most obviously bifurcated.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I would pinch them out just below the fourth truss.
That is, leave a bit of growth above the third truss.

Keep your hands of my truss, young lady!
On second thoughts . . .

I noticed rather late that two of my plants had bifurcated, and ISTR
that it is best to keep only the main stem for flowering.
Anyway, I cut one of 'em off, as it looked like one of those
"in-between" shoots which are supposed to be pinched out as soon as they
appear.
The Alicante was the most obviously bifurcated.

Not sure that bifurcating and handling other peoples trusses is quite on
topic for urg but I did find the information concerning the pinching
most useful.
Have you ever had any trouble with your Euphorbia Fireglow?

Bobbie;-)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bobbie
writes

I would pinch them out just below the fourth truss.
That is, leave a bit of growth above the third truss.

Keep your hands of my truss, young lady!
On second thoughts . . .
I noticed rather late that two of my plants had bifurcated, and ISTR
that it is best to keep only the main stem for flowering.
Anyway, I cut one of 'em off, as it looked like one of those
"in-between" shoots which are supposed to be pinched out as soon as
they appear.
The Alicante was the most obviously bifurcated.

Not sure that bifurcating and handling other peoples trusses is quite
on topic for urg but I did find the information concerning the pinching
most useful.
Have you ever had any trouble with your Euphorbia Fireglow?

Bobbie;-)

Yes. As a matter of fact, it's almost extinguished.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply