GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Erect Strawberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183573-erect-strawberries.html)

TheScullster 13-05-2009 09:43 AM

Erect Strawberries

Hi all

Almost total newbie here!
I have some strawberry plants which I believe are Elsanta.
They have been in flower for about 2 weeks now - is that early?
Also, as the subject, they seem to be growing erect/tall IYSWIM rather than
sort of laid down and limp (no smutty comments).
As they were only getting established last year, their growth habit was not
obvious.

Should they be flowering now and should their growth be very upright?

TIA

Phil

'Mike'[_4_] 13-05-2009 10:07 AM

Erect Strawberries

--
..
"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Almost total newbie here!
I have some strawberry plants which I believe are Elsanta.
They have been in flower for about 2 weeks now - is that early?
Also, as the subject, they seem to be growing erect/tall IYSWIM rather
than sort of laid down and limp (no smutty comments).
As they were only getting established last year, their growth habit was
not obvious.

Should they be flowering now and should their growth be very upright?

TIA

Phil

Well ours are just the same. We put straw down but the flowers are way too
high. Just hope we have a bumper crop of big ones and they weight the fruit
down onto the straw :-)

Mike

TheScullster 13-05-2009 02:52 PM

Erect Strawberries

"'Mike'" wrote

Well ours are just the same. We put straw down but the flowers are way too
high. Just hope we have a bumper crop of big ones and they weight the
fruit down onto the straw :-)

Thanks Mike

So I'm right in thinking this erect growth is unusual then?

Phil

mogga 13-05-2009 02:59 PM

Erect Strawberries

On Wed, 13 May 2009 09:43:39 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Almost total newbie here!
I have some strawberry plants which I believe are Elsanta.
They have been in flower for about 2 weeks now - is that early?
Also, as the subject, they seem to be growing erect/tall IYSWIM rather than
sort of laid down and limp (no smutty comments).
As they were only getting established last year, their growth habit was not
obvious.

Should they be flowering now and should their growth be very upright?

TIA

Phil

It's that windy out there at the moment I'm expecting to see plants
fly by anytime now.

Ours are really full of flowers too and havebeen for a week or two.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Pete Stockdale 13-05-2009 05:11 PM

Erect Strawberries

"mogga" wrote in message

It's that windy out there at the moment I'm expecting to see plants
fly by anytime now.

Ours are really full of flowers too and havebeen for a week or two.

Fruiting and on sale here at Nanneys Bridge Nursery !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com