GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   could someone name these, please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183574-could-someone-name-these-please.html)

bob[_1_] 13-05-2009 10:59 AM

could someone name these, please?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. Invasive?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg
?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg
?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg
These look like the beginnings of gladioli. There were just a few
isolated ones in the garden last year so I'm wondering how such a
tightly clustered bunch will fare. Will these all flower or will they
die in the crush? Or are they not gladioli?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

- thanks for any help...

Des Higgins 13-05-2009 11:10 AM

On May 13, 10:59*am, bob wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. *Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. *Invasive?

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'
yes invasive but not too nasty;
not my cup of tea; very gaudy; likes damp or even wet conditions.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. *Tiny little flower.

Ivy Leaved Toadflax
Linaria cymbalaria or Cymbalaria muralis
a wild plant and technically a weed but completely harmless and to be
encouraged

gogo[_2_] 13-05-2009 11:17 AM

bob wrote:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

Cotoneaster??

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. Invasive?

aggree with Des on Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg
?

Polygonatum multiflorum, Salomon's seal

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg
?

possibly an Epilobium??

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg
These look like the beginnings of gladioli. There were just a few
isolated ones in the garden last year so I'm wondering how such a
tightly clustered bunch will fare. Will these all flower or will they
die in the crush? Or are they not gladioli?

I would rather think Crocosmia

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

again agree with Des on Linaria

Des Higgins 13-05-2009 11:28 AM

On May 13, 11:17*am, gogo wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

And your choices look good; this is bad form; we surely should have a
row about this somehow.

bob[_1_] 13-05-2009 11:32 AM

could someone name these, please?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 03:10:14 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins
wrote:

On May 13, 10:59*am, bob wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. *Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. *Invasive?

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'
yes invasive but not too nasty;
not my cup of tea; very gaudy; likes damp or even wet conditions.

It obviously knows it's in Normandy. No, I'm not sure I'm entirely
struck on it, either.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. *Tiny little flower.

Ivy Leaved Toadflax
Linaria cymbalaria or Cymbalaria muralis
a wild plant and technically a weed but completely harmless and to be
encouraged

That's good news - thanks.

bob[_1_] 13-05-2009 11:32 AM

could someone name these, please?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 10:17:12 GMT, gogo
wrote:

bob wrote:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

Cotoneaster??

I don't remember this having a flower last year - do all cotoneasters
flower?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. Invasive?

aggree with Des on Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'

I'm convinced.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg
?

Polygonatum multiflorum, Salomon's seal

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg
?

possibly an Epilobium??

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg
These look like the beginnings of gladioli. There were just a few
isolated ones in the garden last year so I'm wondering how such a
tightly clustered bunch will fare. Will these all flower or will they
die in the crush? Or are they not gladioli?

I would rather think Crocosmia

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

again agree with Des on Linaria

Thanks for the others - will refer to my plant guide for details.

Ophelia[_4_] 13-05-2009 11:38 AM

gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Sacha[_4_] 13-05-2009 12:53 PM

On 2009-05-13 10:59:49 +0100, bob said:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

Don't know - Cotoneaster?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. Invasive?

Hottuynia. Not exactly invasive but spreading, yes.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg
?

Polygonatum x hybridum aka Solomon's Seal - gorgeous thing.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg
?

Not at all sure. Lysimachia punctata, perhaps?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg
These look like the beginnings of gladioli. There were just a few
isolated ones in the garden last year so I'm wondering how such a
tightly clustered bunch will fare. Will these all flower or will they
die in the crush? Or are they not gladioli?

I think they're more likely Crocosmia which (if I'm right) spread madly
and do need dividing up from time to time. They take over given half a
chance.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

Charming little thing called snapdragon. No idea of its real name.
It's a wildflower.

- thanks for any help...

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Sacha[_4_] 13-05-2009 12:54 PM

On 2009-05-13 11:38:18 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Yes. The modern hybrids seem to be taller.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 13-05-2009 01:03 PM

could someone name these, please?

In article , bob says...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg

Vinca minor alba invasive

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg

Solomens Seal spreads nicely

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg

Epilobium - Fireweed highly invasive

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg

Might be Monbretia, highly invasive and difficult to get rid of

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg

Ivy leafed toad flax invasive but easy to remove

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Pam Moore[_2_] 13-05-2009 01:35 PM

On Wed, 13 May 2009 11:59:49 +0200, bob wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

I recognise this but don't know its name. Isn't it some form of
lonicera? It doesn't flower and is very boring!

Pam in Bristol

Dave Hill 13-05-2009 01:40 PM

could someone name these, please?

On 13 May, 13:03, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article , bob says...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg

Vinca minor alba invasive

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg

Solomens Seal spreads nicely

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg

Epilobium - Fireweed highly invasive

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' highly invasive irradicate while you still
can

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg

Might be Monbretia, highly invasive and difficult to get rid of

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg

Ivy leafed toad flax invasive but easy to remove

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Come on people the first http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/
pousser/5.jpg
is Lonicera nitida, or the other lonicera that looks just like it but
is a bit more shruby.
David Hill

Stewart Robert Hinsley 13-05-2009 01:57 PM

could someone name these, please?

In message , Ophelia
writes
gogo wrote:
I would rather think Crocosmia

Is this the same thing we used to call Montbretia?

Montbretia is one type of Crocosmia, at least in my usage.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 13-05-2009 01:57 PM

could someone name these, please?

In message , lid
writes
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/5.jpg
Small leaf, very compact.

My first thought was privet, but your description doesn't agree. Maybe
privet honeysuckle (Lonicera pileata).

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/1.jpg
These seem to be multiplying. Leaf starts out green, quite quickly
becomes variegated and I think ends up with a little white pointed
flower. Invasive?

I agree with the identification as Houttuynia.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/2.jpg
?

I'm not trained up in the differences between Convallaria and
Polygonatum, but Polygonatum multiflorum, Solomon's seal as suggested
elsethread seems a sensible suggestion.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/3.jpg
?

Looks like a willow-herb (Epilobium), but I'm not completely sure.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/4.jpg
These look like the beginnings of gladioli. There were just a few
isolated ones in the garden last year so I'm wondering how such a
tightly clustered bunch will fare. Will these all flower or will they
die in the crush? Or are they not gladioli?

Possibly montbretia (Crocosmia x crocosmiflora); monbretia do develop
into dense clumps.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/pousser/6.jpg
A lot of patches of this on old walls. Tiny little flower.

Ivy-leaved toadflax aka Kenilworth ivy (Cymbalaria muralis)

- thanks for any help...

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

bob[_1_] 13-05-2009 02:04 PM

could someone name these, please?

- thanks for all extra replies, evidently a strong concensus.

Clearly at least two plants I should get shot of!