Old 14-05-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default impossible, oh surely not?

On May 14, 1:34*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Judith in France wrote
On May 14, 11:18*am, Kate Brown wrote:
Judith or David may have an idea, I hope others may as well!

In our little garden in France (Dordogne valley slopes, limestone about
five inches beneath the surface) we have roses, lavender, irises, day
lilies, michaelmas daisies, sage, all abundant. *But there is one bed
where I can't seem to grow anything. It's about eighteen inches deep and
eight foot long, against a limestone drystone wall at the gate of the
garden. *It faces southeast, but in the winter it's in shadow from the
building on the other side of the path. *It gets sun from about nine to
three between April and September. *It has quite a slope. It's a dry bed
and we can't get the irrigation system up there.

There's a well-established Kerria at the top end - and I can't get
anything else nice to grow there at all! *Thistles, grasses, wild
clematis, and ivy grow with abandon. *I've tried canna, which grow like
weeds elsewhere in the village, but the snails ate all the leaves and
they haven't come up at all this year. *I sow nasturtiums, which
sprouted one year but not the next. This year I divided up a choked iris
bed and put in some rhizomes, but snails like eating their leaves too,
so I don't hope for much. *I also put in some spare daffodil bulbs, but
we're rarely there early enough to enjoy them.

Any ideas? *We're there again in June/beginning of July, and again end
of August, so anything that shows in May, June/July, or August/September
would be perfect. It has to be snail-repellent!

There's a page of photos here - the impossible bed is about ten down..

http://www.newcockaigne.demon.co.uk/photos/index.html

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at
cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

First of all, you have a beautiful home and garden Kate. *I, too, have
problem areas in my garden; heavy sticky *pottery clay, it would seem
that a vine would be suited to that area in my garden. *For yours, you
could also try a vine, they are more than happy in a dry *soil but I
don't know whether you would have adequate sunshine hours to make it
fruit, maybe? *You could get one in espalier mode so that it could be
supported against the wall. *Apart from that; *geraniums would be
happy there, lots of different types, trailing etc and when you are
away, they tend to look after themselves. *Sorry I'm not too much help
but there are others here who will advise you.

What about proper Geraniums (hardy cransbills) never found a place you
can not grow one or other of them
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I have a cranesbill here and it survives; I think it is called
Johnson's Blue but not sure. It almost didn't recover the first year
I planted it but I coddled it for a while and now it has adapted.
However, I did plant about 6 and only 1 survived the first Winter
Old 14-05-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 12:53*pm, Kate Brown wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009, moghouse wrote

On May 14, 11:18*am, Kate Brown wrote:
Judith or David may have an idea, I hope others may as well!

Any ideas? *We're there again in June/beginning of July, and again end
of August, so anything that shows in May, June/July, or August/September
would be perfect. It has to be snail-repellent!

At the risk of being accused (again) by Martin of being a blood
thirsty, creature destroyer, why don't you just kill the snails?

Oh, I do, but we're not there enough to keep an eye on things. *Did I
mention we have a problem with cat poo too? *

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Cat poo? Buy some camphor from the pharmacy and crush it in big bits
with a hammer, it works a treat.

Judith
Old 14-05-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 2:55*pm, Martin wrote:

Where's the sport in that?

With a bow and arrow by candlelight? Do try and keep up, Martin.

Stamping on the slimy buggers with bare feet in the dark is more sporting..

I knew that snails were hermaphrodites but I did not realize they were
gay as well. What an educational group this is!
Old 14-05-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Martin wrote
On Thu, 14 May 2009 08:53:50 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

[...]

The cat poo or the camphor?

The cat?

Old 14-05-2009, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Sacha wrote
On 2009-05-14 11:18:03 +0100, Kate Brown said:

[...]

What a lovely place you have - lucky you! Had you thought of geraniums
- the cranesbills, not the pelargoniums. They tolerate most soils and
don't seem to troubled by pests. Some types don't miind a fair bit of
shade. One that we especially like is called Geranium Jolly Bee and it
flowers for ages here, well into October, spreading quickly into
sizeable mounds. You could try just one or two as an experiment this
year and then add more if it works.

that's a good idea, thank you Sacha - herb robert grows everywhere so
other cranesbills should too. As long as they're not blue - we have
blue ones here in Blackheath and are getting very fed up with them,
they are so prolific!

Try G. Ann Folkard - lovely magenta colour!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 14-05-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-14 13:00:41 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
What a lovely place you have - lucky you! Had you thought of geraniums
- the cranesbills, not the pelargoniums. They tolerate most soils and
don't seem to troubled by pests. Some types don't miind a fair bit of
shade. One that we especially like is called Geranium Jolly Bee and it
flowers for ages here, well into October, spreading quickly into
sizeable mounds. You could try just one or two as an experiment this
year and then add more if it works.

Don't the ones that tolerate shade prefer soil that is a bit damper? Or
are there ones that cope with both dry soil and shade?

We find they seem to be pretty tolerant of almost anything that's
thrown at them. I think there are some especially tolerant of both but
can't remember the name just now. G. paheum, perhaps?
snip

Old 14-05-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 12:53*pm, Kate Brown wrote:

.............. *Did I mention we have a problem with cat poo too? *

No, no, no, Thay are not cat poos, they are soft truffles!
Old 14-05-2009, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

We find they seem to be pretty tolerant of almost anything that's
thrown at them. I think there are some especially tolerant of both but
can't remember the name just now. G. paheum, perhaps?
snip

That's very tolerant indeed of shade, but I don't think it'd cope well
with dry soil. Ditto Samobar, which is the garden variety of it with the
black leaf spot much more pronounced.
--
Kay
Old 14-05-2009, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 May 2009, moghouse wrote
On May 14, 12:53*pm, Kate Brown wrote:

.............. *Did I mention we have a problem with cat poo too? *

No, no, no, Thay are not cat poos, they are soft truffles!

Listen, babe, we knows truffles, we is Perigourdine. Them's not
truffles.

Old 14-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 9:20*pm, Kate Brown wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009, moghouse wrote

On May 14, 12:53*pm, Kate Brown wrote:

.............. *Did I mention we have a problem with cat poo too? *

No, no, no, Thay are not cat poos, they are soft truffles!

Listen, babe, we knows truffles, we is Perigourdine. Them's not
truffles.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Listen, Babe, I agree with you; I love truffles, shaved in an
omelette, I'll provide the eggs, can you provide the truffles?

Judith

Old 14-05-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-14 19:50:28 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

We find they seem to be pretty tolerant of almost anything that's
thrown at them. I think there are some especially tolerant of both but
can't remember the name just now. G. paheum, perhaps?
snip

That's very tolerant indeed of shade, but I don't think it'd cope well
with dry soil. Ditto Samobar, which is the garden variety of it with
the black leaf spot much more pronounced.

All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a neighbour in
their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well with dry
conditions - total drought would push anything to its extreme! And -
all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay? I've
never grown them so have no idea. Most of our Geraniums survive on the
rainfall the heavens provide with the occasional extra dollop. If
Kate can find a few cheaply enough to experiment, it will be a lot
cheaper than losing Cannas etc. Worth a try, I think.

Old 15-05-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a neighbour in
their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well with dry
conditions - total drought would push anything to its extreme! And -
all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?

They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if kept
completely dry.

I've never grown them so have no idea. Most of our Geraniums survive
on the rainfall the heavens provide with the occasional extra dollop.

The heavens are quite generous in your part of the world ;-)

If Kate can find a few cheaply enough to experiment, it will be a
lot cheaper than losing Cannas etc. Worth a try, I think.

Most definitely.

--
Kay
Old 15-05-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-14 19:50:28 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
[...]

I suspect it would be too wet for cacti, but I'm certainly going to have
a go with cranesbill geraniums and sedum - there are patches of sedum in
the wall a bit further down, so I know it should survive, and the
geraniums should be bulky enough to discourage the thistles, with any
luck. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Old 15-05-2009, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-15 11:29:01 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a neighbour in
their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well with dry
conditions - total drought would push anything to its extreme! And -
all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?

They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if kept
completely dry.

It sounds as if the bed they're wanted for would see to that!

I've never grown them so have no idea. Most of our Geraniums survive
on the rainfall the heavens provide with the occasional extra dollop.

The heavens are quite generous in your part of the world ;-)

Very - as a glance out of today's window is telling me!

If Kate can find a few cheaply enough to experiment, it will be a lot
cheaper than losing Cannas etc. Worth a try, I think.

Most definitely.

Let's hope it does work and that urg gets a good and happy report from Kate.

Old 15-05-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-15 11:29:01 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a
neighbour in their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well
with dry conditions - total drought would push anything to its
extreme! And - all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?

They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if kept
completely dry.

It sounds as if the bed they're wanted for would see to that!

They don't want to be rained on either if the weather is cold. People do
grow some species out of doors, but with a roof over

--
Kay