Old 15-05-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default impossible, oh surely not?

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-15 11:29:01 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a neighbour
in their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well with dry
conditions - total drought would push anything to its extreme! And -
all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?
They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if kept
completely dry.

It sounds as if the bed they're wanted for would see to that!

They don't want to be rained on either if the weather is cold. People
do grow some species out of doors, but with a roof over

Is cold rain a problem in the Dordogne on a regular and sustained
basis? Hardy Geraniums grown in UK don't have a choice!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 16-05-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-15 11:29:01 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a
neighbour in their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well
conditions - total drought would push anything to its extreme! And
all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?
They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if
kept completely dry.
It sounds as if the bed they're wanted for would see to that!

They don't want to be rained on either if the weather is cold.
People do grow some species out of doors, but with a roof over

Is cold rain a problem in the Dordogne on a regular and sustained
basis?

I haven't a clue, but damp soil at a temperature of below 5deg C is a
problem, and I'd guess that is a possibility in the Dordogne.

Hardy Geraniums grown in UK don't have a choice!

No - but I was replying to your question about cacti!

--
Kay
Old 16-05-2009, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-15 11:29:01 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a neighbour
in their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty well conditions -
total drought would push anything to its extreme! And all joking aside
- would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?
They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if kept
completely dry.
It sounds as if the bed they're wanted for would see to that!
They don't want to be rained on either if the weather is cold. People
do grow some species out of doors, but with a roof over

Is cold rain a problem in the Dordogne on a regular and sustained basis?

I haven't a clue, but damp soil at a temperature of below 5deg C is a
problem, and I'd guess that is a possibility in the Dordogne.

Winters can be cold but it's a large départément so it probably depends
on the exact locality.

Hardy Geraniums grown in UK don't have a choice!

No - but I was replying to your question about cacti!

Ah I see - I think that bit got snipped. Or something!

Old 16-05-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-15 11:29:01 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
All will need *some* watering if it can be arranged with a
neighbour in their absence but on the whole, they cope pretty
well conditions - total drought would push anything to its
extreme! And all joking aside - would your beloved cacti work there, Kay?
They'd work in the summer, but would only survive the winter if
kept completely dry.
It sounds as if the bed they're wanted for would see to that!
They don't want to be rained on either if the weather is cold.
People do grow some species out of doors, but with a roof over
Is cold rain a problem in the Dordogne on a regular and sustained
basis?

I haven't a clue, but damp soil at a temperature of below 5deg C is
a problem, and I'd guess that is a possibility in the Dordogne.

Winters can be cold but it's a large départément so it probably depends
on the exact locality.

Hardy Geraniums grown in UK don't have a choice!

No - but I was replying to your question about cacti!

Ah I see - I think that bit got snipped. Or something!

No - it's still in there. But it is well buried!
--
Kay
Old 16-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered User

My parents live in Montpon, they found canna's grow a treat, however you say you have a slug problem so perhaps thats a no no. Climbing roses seem to flourish, try Pauls Himalayan Musk. They have had sucess with Campsis & Laurels.

Good Luck

Old 17-05-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 May 2009, Swiss Toni wrote

My parents live in Montpon, they found canna's grow a treat, however
you
say you have a slug problem so perhaps thats a no no. Climbing roses
seem to flourish, try Pauls Himalayan Musk. They have had sucess with
Campsis & Laurels.

Good Luck

Thanks - the backing wall is rather low, so I don't think roses would
work there, also the bed is very shallow (front to back), so even a low
growing rose might threaten to spread over the path. I wish I could
grow cannas, they'd be perfect! But I'm going to try sedums and
geraniums, and yesterday someone gave me a cistus cutting and I'll try
that there too. I know they can grow huge as well, but it's very small
just now, and as far as I know they don't object to being pruned quite
fiercely.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally