Old 16-05-2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

Default Energy, health care, agriculture, climate change, global outbreaks like swine flu

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/1...hor_michael_po
llans_new

Energy, health care, agriculture, climate change, global outbreaks like
swine flu. What do all of these topics have in common? Food. Thatıs
right. None of these issues can really be tackled without addressing
some of the fundamental problems of the food system and the American
diet.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

That's odd about "the way you're raising pigs in America today creates a
perfect environment for the generation of new flu pandemics", subsequent:
"Oh, the industry response and the media response, by and large, is not
pay attention to that part of the story." Guess I'm paying attention to
the
wrong national TV channel as they said just that. Maybe they have more
air
time for such things as they don't spend an inordinate amount of time
doing
politically motivated ridicules...

It seems with the SciAm article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...on-food-shorta
ges
that Charlie posted, taken with CAFOs breeding new diseases (from the
Pollan interview), maybe we should look to reduce our meat consumption
and spread out the area in which animals are raised to avoid the need
for antibiotic treated animals which can harbor resistant bacteria, and
easily transmit viruses.

What has that have to do with the website you posted originally? Nothing
regarding the matter that I just ATTEMPTED and evidently failed to convey to
you..

What ridicules are you referring to?

I'd rather not discuss the obvious since you refuse to do so by
side-tracking.

Well, aren't we in a snit today? Ridicule was side-tracking? You brought
up the subject. The subject which I posted about our animal gulags as
breeding grounds for human diseases. Treat the animals poorly and it
comes back to bite you in the ass.

Then the is the under reported story, that the H1N1 virus had escaped
from a lab.

"According to a recent report (Bloomberg, May 12, 2009) which was barely
publicised, a prominent scientist*directly involved in the development
of Tamiflu points to the possibility that the H1N1 strain ³resulted from
lab experimentation or vaccine production². According to professor
Adrian Gibbs of the Australian National University (ANU), the virus
which ³escaped from a lab², was the direct product of a laboratory
experiment by the company which produces Tamiflu.
³³It could be a mistake² that occurred at a vaccine production facility
or the virus could have jumped from a pig to another mammal or a bird
before reaching humans, he said.² (Ibid)
There have been several previous unconfirmed reports on the issue.
Professor John Oxford of St. Bart's and the Royal London Hospital
contends that ³the 1957 H1N1 pandemic probably started when it escaped
from a lab² (National Public Radio,*May 4, 2009).
While the findings of Professor Gibbs require further investigation,
they, nonetheless, raise the broader issue of transmission out of a
laboratory, not to mention the underlying geographic location of a
laboratory.*The WHO is investigating the findings of Professor Gibbs."
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=13622

If you want a conspiracy, you might look at Donald Rumsfeld who owned
stock in the company that developed Tamiflu, and he continued to hold
Tamiflu stock during his tenure as Secretary of Defense, in clear
violation of the law that required him to divest himself of the stock.
Cheney (Halliburton) never divested either. What do you think the
chances are that their actions benefited their portfolios performances?

Old 16-05-2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009 15:35:47 -0700, Billy
wrote:

If you want a conspiracy, you might look at Donald Rumsfeld who owned
stock in the company that developed Tamiflu, and he continued to hold
Tamiflu stock during his tenure as Secretary of Defense, in clear
violation of the law that required him to divest himself of the stock.
Cheney (Halliburton) never divested either. What do you think the
chances are that their actions benefited their portfolios performances?

Hmmmm.....what is the shelf life of Tamiflu?

Five years, from what I read.

When was the global fiasco over avian flu that prompted the
manufacture of a gazilllion doses of Tamiflu. A gaziliion doses that
weren't used for a pandemic that didn't materialize, even though we
recently supposedly had a major effup in Europe with a vaccine
containing live virus H5N1? Hmmmmmm.......

Hmmmmm.......wonder how much Tamiflu, from that manufacture, has been
sold recently, in order to deal with the, uh, supposed outbreak of
this funky strain of "swine flu", a strain that carries some
interesting dna.

Four years ago I was forced to go to the doc concerning cellulitis
that I developed in my elbow. I've had it before and it is a serious
deal. In the past, keflex (cephalosporins) were administered IM to
infiltrate with an oral course. This last time I couldn't get the
effing doc to use that. I ended up with a shot of Rocephen in my ass,
a long way from the elbow and a scrip for.....tada.....ciprofloxicin,
of which a gazillion doses had been manufactured for the supposed
terrorist anthrax debacle. BTW, I reacted very badly to that shit and
so did my sister in law who had cipro used on her after surgery. It
damn near killed her. She had to be transferred to Bigtown Hosp for a
week.

Whadda ya think, Billy. Concern for the public health?

As Galileo said, "All truths are easy to understand once they are
discovered; the point is to discover them."

and then get them past the censors, who block or distort beyond all
recognition. The corporate press is rigged. That is the one thing that
both the left and the right agree on.

Charlie

According to Naomi Klein, "Before he reentered government, Rumsfeld was
so convinced that he was on to a hot new industry that he helped found
several private investment funds specializing in biotechnology and
pharmaceuticals. These companies are banking on an apocalyptic future of
rampant disease, one in which governments are forced to buy, at top
dollar, whatever lifesaving products the private sector has under
patent."

These, like Tamiflu, will most likely be developed on grants funded by
taxpayers.

At least we will be getting something for the money, unlike our present
scenario.

You think Rummy's has an idea where all this is headed? Does Rummy
gamble?

Old 16-05-2009, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Is this from "Shock Doctrine"?...on my list anyway.

Ya.

These, like Tamiflu, will most likely be developed on grants funded by
taxpayers.

Of course. Public interest and all that, eh?

At least we will be getting something for the money, unlike our present
scenario.

Yeah, right. Cui bono?

You think Rummy's has an idea where all this is headed? Does Rummy
gamble?

Rummy and his ilk do not gamble lightly. You have a good idea where
this is headed.... you can bet your droopy ass Rummy and crew *know*
where this is headed.

Charlie