Old 15-05-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID Please

Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Thank you

Wally

Old 15-05-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

Thank you
Wally

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-05-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

I'd be more concerned about the horsetails...

--
Jeff

Old 15-05-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

I'd be more concerned about the horsetails...

Or what appears to be montbretia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 15-05-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

I'd be more concerned about the horsetails...

--
Jeff

Yes I am concerned about it Jeff and working on it.

Old 15-05-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
after Wally asked

Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

Stewart, we had a similar plant on our plot, digging it all out seems to
have cured the problem as any seedlings can be hoed off like all the other
weeds.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-05-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

I'd be more concerned about the horsetails...

--
Jeff

Yes I am concerned about it Jeff and working on it.

When you've got rid of it, we'd all like to know how :-)

Steve

Old 16-05-2009, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

I'd be more concerned about the horsetails...

Or what appears to be montbretia.

And I thought I was the only one who gets funny looks when referring to it
as "That noxious weed" when visiting gardens! I will admit that it does look
good when in flower, but so does muscari...

--
Jeff