Old 20-05-2009, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default standard and bush rose pruning - help needed

Last year I pruned these with care (but near-zero expertise) and
rather later than I should and they all seemed to respond ok.

This year, based on often-read advice that it pays not to be too
trepidatious I decided to cut them back hard. They've all come back
with a vengeance, with 60% of the new growth where I would like it (at
a reasonable height and giving the plants reasonable shape) but with
the other 40% producing new extremely vigorous and absurdly long stems
which really spoil the appearance of the roses.

Any advice at this stage? They'll be flowering soon.

Which books/guides have others found to be useful generally for
rose-pruning. Preferably aimed at the ungifted.
Old 20-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob[_1_] View Post
Last year I pruned these with care (but near-zero expertise) and
rather later than I should and they all seemed to respond ok.

This year, based on often-read advice that it pays not to be too
trepidatious I decided to cut them back hard. They've all come back
with a vengeance, with 60% of the new growth where I would like it (at
a reasonable height and giving the plants reasonable shape) but with
the other 40% producing new extremely vigorous and absurdly long stems
which really spoil the appearance of the roses.

Any advice at this stage? They'll be flowering soon.

Which books/guides have others found to be useful generally for
rose-pruning. Preferably aimed at the ungifted.
Once they have flowered, cut back those stems to an outward facing bud.

As to the new long growths, do they come from the old stems or from the base?
Old 20-05-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 May, 07:47, bob wrote:
Last year I pruned these with care (but near-zero expertise) and
rather later than I should and they all seemed to respond ok.

This year, based on often-read advice that it pays not to be too
trepidatious I decided to cut them back hard. They've all come back
with a vengeance, with 60% of the new growth where I would like it (at
a reasonable height and giving the plants reasonable shape) but with
the other 40% producing new extremely vigorous and absurdly long stems
which really spoil the appearance of the roses.

Any advice at this stage? They'll be flowering soon.

Which books/guides have others found to be useful generally for
rose-pruning. Preferably aimed at the ungifted.

What is the variety/name of the rose?

Old 21-05-2009, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:23:58 -0700 (PDT), Frank Booth Snr
wrote:

What is the variety/name of the rose?

Don't know. Could you identify it from a pic? It's not quite in
flower yet.
Old 22-05-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
What is the variety/name of the rose?

Don't know. Could you identify it from a pic? It's not quite in
flower yet.

I'd need to know whether it's Hybrid Tea or Floribunda type.as they
are pruned a bit differently.

Old 22-05-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
What is the variety/name of the rose?

Don't know. Could you identify it from a pic? It's not quite in
flower yet.

That's not as straightforward as it seems as some roses of different
varities have similar looking blooms. I'd really need to know whether
it's Hybrid Tea or Floribunda type.as they are pruned a bit
differently. How old is the rose, and does it tend to throw up several
stems each year or just the odd 1 or 2.?
Old 22-05-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
What is the variety/name of the rose?

Don't know. Could you identify it from a pic? It's not quite in
flower yet.

That's not as straightforward as it seems as some roses of different
varities have similar looking blooms. I'd really need to know whether
it's Hybrid Tea or Floribunda type.as they are pruned a bit
differently. How old is the rose, and does it tend to throw up several
stems each year or just the odd 1 or 2.?

The rose was here before I took the house so can't tell you how old.
But here's a pic and I'll tell you what I know.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...usser/rose.jpg

The main stem is a good 5cms thick and 50 cms high. It looks
weathered and quite old.

From here (the graft) there are 5 main stems about 2-3 cms thick also
aged and wizened in appearance.

From those have sprung dozens of stems, much of it new growth since I
cut back quite agressively. Most of these stems are out of the
picture at the top and reaching for the sky.

Old 22-05-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 May, 19:21, bob wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank Booth Snr

The rose was here before I took the house so can't tell you how old.
But here's a pic and I'll tell you what I know.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...usser/rose.jpg

The main stem is a good 5cms thick and 50 cms high. It looks
weathered and quite old.

From here (the graft) there are 5 main stems about 2-3 cms thick also
aged and wizened in appearance.

From those have sprung dozens of stems, much of it new growth since I
cut back quite agressively. Most of these stems are out of the
picture at the top and reaching for the sky.

It looks like a very vigorous floribunda on a standard, which at least
is a sign of good health. However it's better to have had a hybrid tea
or less vigorous floribunda grafted onto a standard There's nothing
much you can do now as further hard pruning might shock the rose at
this time of year. Leave that until November. Meanwhile let it bloom,
and as the blooms finish, dead-head them. You can cut out all spindly
growths back to a main stem during the coming months. In November
while it is mild cut back all stems to a couple of buds on each branch
just above the 5 main stems, including all dead and diseased stems and
all ingrowing ones. In late February/early March, you should start to
see pink buds forming on these 5 main stems. Prune each branch down to
the first outer facing bud, using a pruning saw, unless secateurs are
strong enough The cut should be made just above each bud and sloping
at 45º away from the bud. Rub out any inward shoots that break below,
within the next few weeks. But allow any strong shoots that break just
above the graft as these shoots will replace the old thick ones in the
coming years.This will shape the rose for the future. Meanwhile from
now you should spray the leaves every few weeks with fungicide to
prevent blackspot and rust.

Old 22-05-2009, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
What is the variety/name of the rose?

Don't know. Could you identify it from a pic? It's not quite in
flower yet.

That's not as straightforward as it seems as some roses of different
varities have similar looking blooms. I'd really need to know whether
it's Hybrid Tea or Floribunda type.as they are pruned a bit
differently. How old is the rose, and does it tend to throw up several
stems each year or just the odd 1 or 2.?

The rose was here before I took the house so can't tell you how old.
But here's a pic and I'll tell you what I know.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...usser/rose.jpg

The main stem is a good 5cms thick and 50 cms high. It looks
weathered and quite old.

From here (the graft) there are 5 main stems about 2-3 cms thick also
aged and wizened in appearance.

From those have sprung dozens of stems, much of it new growth since I
[...]

within the next few weeks. But allow any strong outward shoots that
break just
above the graft as these will replace the old thick ones in the
Old 23-05-2009, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
What is the variety/name of the rose?

Don't know. Could you identify it from a pic? It's not quite in
flower yet.

That's not as straightforward as it seems as some roses of different
varities have similar looking blooms. I'd really need to know whether
it's Hybrid Tea or Floribunda type.as they are pruned a bit
differently. How old is the rose, and does it tend to throw up several
stems each year or just the odd 1 or 2.?

The rose was here before I took the house so can't tell you how old.
But here's a pic and I'll tell you what I know.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...usser/rose.jpg

The main stem is a good 5cms thick and 50 cms high. It looks
weathered and quite old.

From here (the graft) there are 5 main stems about 2-3 cms thick also
aged and wizened in appearance.

From those have sprung dozens of stems, much of it new growth since I
cut back quite agressively. Most of these stems are out of the
picture at the top and reaching for the sky.

It looks like a very vigorous floribunda on a standard, which at least
is a sign of good health. However it's better to have had a hybrid tea
or less vigorous floribunda grafted onto a standard There's nothing
much you can do now as further hard pruning might shock the rose at
this time of year. Leave that until November. Meanwhile let it bloom,
and as the blooms finish, dead-head them. You can cut out all spindly
growths back to a main stem during the coming months. In November
while it is mild cut back all stems to a couple of buds on each branch
just above the 5 main stems,removing all dead and diseased stems and
all ingrowing ones. In late February/early March, you should start to
see pink buds forming on these 5 main stems. Prune each branch down to
the nearest outer facing bud, using a pruning saw, unless secateurs

Old 23-05-2009, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 May 2009 15:42:22 -0700 (PDT), Frank Booth Snr
wrote:

On 22 May, 19:21, bob wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank Booth Snr

The rose was here before I took the house so can't tell you how old.
But here's a pic and I'll tell you what I know.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...usser/rose.jpg

The main stem is a good 5cms thick and 50 cms high. It looks
weathered and quite old.

From here (the graft) there are 5 main stems about 2-3 cms thick also
aged and wizened in appearance.

From those have sprung dozens of stems, much of it new growth since I
[...]

Many thanks, and for taking the trouble to lay that out in such detail
- I'll be following it to the letter.

If you've time, could you tell me what you think about this poor
thing?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2267.jpg

Also, what might it be? Main stem is 50cms, 3 cms diameter. It's much
smaller than the floribunda you've identified and last year the
flowers, though very small, were all far to heavy for their stems.

Should I just discard it and start again, or is there a remedial
option? As you can see the plant is entirely devoid of any new growth
on one side and instead covered in a sort of canker which easily
flakes off.

broken standard rose nagem67 Australia 3 07-10-2008 12:54 PM
Apricot Standard Rose Tree Dawn Fletcher Roses 1 02-09-2007 09:59 PM
Pruning a standard ficus Luke Australia 3 26-03-2007 12:04 AM
Pruning standard rose Derek Turner United Kingdom 8 18-03-2004 01:21 PM
Pruning standard currant Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 1 31-10-2003 05:32 PM