GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed heads in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183836-seed-heads-lawn.html)

Steve[_4_] 20-05-2009 06:34 PM

Seed heads in lawn

I have a couple of areas of lawn that I have been trying to maintain to
a high standard over the last 5 years, to get that green carpet effect.
I feed, weed, mosskill, water and mow with a cylinder mower regularly.

It has been going quite well but suddenly this year I have large patches
of whitish seed heads appearing in a number of areas. It is obviously
some sort of grass, so I don't suppose it will be affected by lawn
weedkillers. I've lowered the cutters on my mower which removed some,
but nothing like all of the seedheads.

Any ideas about how I can discourage this stuff?

TIA

Steve

pied piper 20-05-2009 06:43 PM

Seed heads in lawn

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a couple of areas of lawn that I have been trying to maintain to a
high standard over the last 5 years, to get that green carpet effect. I
feed, weed, mosskill, water and mow with a cylinder mower regularly.

It has been going quite well but suddenly this year I have large patches
of whitish seed heads appearing in a number of areas. It is obviously
some sort of grass, so I don't suppose it will be affected by lawn
weedkillers. I've lowered the cutters on my mower which removed some, but
nothing like all of the seedheads.

Any ideas about how I can discourage this stuff?

TIA

Steve

Hi Steve,
Its annual m eadow grasss (poa anna) there is not much u can do greenkeepers
have been battling for years on golf courses it is low seeding so not very
drought resistant plenty of scarifying will help but u will nevr get rid of
it.
regards PP