GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poppy flowers only occasionaly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183890-poppy-flowers-only-occasionaly.html)

wind'n'stone 21-05-2009 06:25 PM

Poppy flowers only occasionaly

Hi - I have a poppy which I bought 5 years ago - Papaver orientale 'Karina'.

It flowered the first year. SInce then it has not flowered. Last year I decided to cut it back hard at the end of the summer. It has come up this year with three buds.

Question is - how best to look after it. How to encourage it to flower again?

Soil is slightly clay, neutral/acid. Southerly aspect. Not overly crowded.

ANy advice appreciated.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 22-05-2009 01:20 PM

Poppy flowers only occasionaly

In article ,
says...

--
wind'n'stone

I think that the flower you had the first year was part of the bit used
to propagate the plant, the following year it was making its root system
and generally growing, now its settled in it will flower every year
whether you do anything or not, poppies are undemanding plants.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

wind'n'stone 22-05-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] (Post 846388)
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thankyou - I will treat it no differently then and fingers crossed for next year!