Old 24-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered User

Question deficiency symptoms in chilli plant

Location: Alloment in East london
Soil: Not investigated, but quality believed to be alkaline. Organic matter reasonably good. Contained lots of iron nails and artifacts before I cultivated, removed the stones and bits of glass, and put in a previously potted chilli plant that was doing reasonably well on my window sill.
It has stopped growing since its transfer and the few leaves that started to grow have turned eyllowing nd are very small indeed. I notice a 'rosette' or bunching effect of the growing tips,
Can someone tell me if
a) this symptom is due to boron or magnesium deficicency or
b) can it be that the presence of the rusting nails /screws have poisoned the plant and caused the symptoms to appear.
c) do I remove the plant and put it back on my window sill?
Old 24-05-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default deficiency symptoms in chilli plant

malia writes

Location: Alloment in East london
Soil: Not investigated, but quality believed to be alkaline. Organic
matter reasonably good. Contained lots of iron nails and artifacts
before I cultivated, removed the stones and bits of glass, and put in a
previously potted chilli plant that was doing reasonably well on my
window sill.
It has stopped growing since its transfer and the few leaves that
started to grow have turned eyllowing nd are very small indeed. I
notice a 'rosette' or bunching effect of the growing tips,
Can someone tell me if
a) this symptom is due to boron or magnesium deficicency or
b) can it be that the presence of the rusting nails /screws have
poisoned the plant and caused the symptoms to appear.
c) do I remove the plant and put it back on my window sill?

1) I'd have thought it was still a bit cold for a chilli to be happy
outside but perhaps it's warmer in London.

2) bunching effect of tips can be pest damage - have you checked
carefully for eg aphids?

3) I doubt very much whether the rusting nails have caused a problem.
Could it be straight nitrogen deficiency as in a poor soil? - though I'd
hope not since it's an allotment.

If it were mine, I'd pot it in potting compost and put it back on the
windowsill for a few more weeks.

--
Kay
Old 25-05-2009, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 24/05/09 17:35, malia wrote:
Location: Alloment in East london
Soil: Not investigated, but quality believed to be alkaline. Organic
matter reasonably good. Contained lots of iron nails and artifacts
before I cultivated, removed the stones and bits of glass, and put in a
previously potted chilli plant that was doing reasonably well on my
window sill.
It has stopped growing since its transfer and the few leaves that
started to grow have turned eyllowing nd are very small indeed. I
notice a 'rosette' or bunching effect of the growing tips,
Can someone tell me if
a) this symptom is due to boron or magnesium deficicency or
b) can it be that the presence of the rusting nails /screws have
poisoned the plant and caused the symptoms to appear.
c) do I remove the plant and put it back on my window sill?

Maybe Joe Swift could help? He's North London and an expert on allotments.

Ed

Old 25-05-2009, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

1) I'd have thought it was still a bit cold for a chilli to be happy
outside but perhaps it's warmer in London.

I'm in sunny East Anglia and my chili plants are staying in the 'greenhouse'
I had a couple of sweet pepper plants outside last year but they were
miserable looking things. This year - new stuff kept inside is looking much
better.

Old 31-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered User

Many thanks. The chilli plant is now back on my window sill.
Malia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Maybe Joe Swift could help? He's North London and an expert on allotments.

Ed
I will look up Joe Swift another time. Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post

1) I'd have thought it was still a bit cold for a chilli to be happy
outside but perhaps it's warmer in London.

2) bunching effect of tips can be pest damage - have you checked
carefully for eg aphids?

3) I doubt very much whether the rusting nails have caused a problem.
Could it be straight nitrogen deficiency as in a poor soil? - though I'd
hope not since it's an allotment.

If it were mine, I'd pot it in potting compost and put it back on the
windowsill for a few more weeks.

--
Kay
Thanks for the tips.
No aphids .. yet!
I put it back in potting compost and it is now housed on my window sill, just as the weather has turned for the better.