GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what tool do i need? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184069-what-tool-do-i-need.html)

mo[_2_] 24-05-2009 08:02 PM

what tool do i need?

Hi

I have dug up my turf and I need some sort of tool, that is like a rake -
but better - that can go through the mud and basically break it all up and
gather up all loose stones and dead grass in the mud.

can anything do this?

As it is so hot, my rake isn't doing much!

Thanks

aquachimp 24-05-2009 08:04 PM

what tool do i need?

On May 24, 9:02*pm, "mo" wrote:
Hi

I have dug up my turf and I need some sort of tool, that is like a rake -
but better - that can go through the mud and basically break it all up and
gather up all loose stones and dead grass in the mud.

can anything do this?

As it is so hot, my rake isn't doing much!

Thanks

A stone rack of the sort used by tarmac people?

moghouse 24-05-2009 08:18 PM

what tool do i need?

On May 24, 8:02*pm, "mo" wrote:
Hi

I have dug up my turf and I need some sort of tool, that is like a rake -
but better - that can go through the mud and basically break it all up and
gather up all loose stones and dead grass in the mud.

can anything do this?

Yes, it's called a wife.

beccabunga 25-05-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo[_2_] (Post 846932)
Hi

I have dug up my turf and I need some sort of tool, that is like a rake -
but better - that can go through the mud and basically break it all up and
gather up all loose stones and dead grass in the mud.

can anything do this?

As it is so hot, my rake isn't doing much!

Thanks

To break up and separate stones etc, a Chillingham Hoe if you can get one. Best not done when soil is the consistency of mud. Wait till it is nearly dry. Plus muscle power.

beccabunga 25-05-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 847043)

Sorry - Chillington hoe: http://www.chillington.co.uk/

Pam Moore[_2_] 25-05-2009 11:40 PM

what tool do i need?

On Mon, 25 May 2009 19:36:14 +0100, beccabunga
wrote:

beccabunga;847043 Wrote:
To break up and separate stones etc, a Chillingham Hoe if you can get
one. Best not done when soil is the consistency of mud. Wait till it is
nearly dry. Plus muscle power.

Sorry - Chillington hoe: http://www.chillington.co.uk/

I would use a heavy duty tool, which I use on lumpy soil sometimes.
It's got 3 prongs hooked over like claws. you pull it through the
soil. Good for making a tilth and breaking up lumps.

Pam in Bristol

moghouse 26-05-2009 12:07 PM

what tool do i need?

On May 25, 11:40*pm, Pam Moore wrote:

I would use a heavy duty tool, which I use on lumpy soil sometimes.
It's got 3 prongs hooked over like claws. *you pull it through the
soil. *Good for making a tilth and breaking up lumps.

If you have an hour to spare, Pam, perhaps you would care to come and
demonstrate with your heavy duty tool on my veggie plot!

Pam Moore[_2_] 26-05-2009 11:13 PM

what tool do i need?

On Tue, 26 May 2009 04:07:34 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On May 25, 11:40*pm, Pam Moore wrote:

I would use a heavy duty tool, which I use on lumpy soil sometimes.
It's got 3 prongs hooked over like claws. *you pull it through the
soil. *Good for making a tilth and breaking up lumps.

If you have an hour to spare, Pam, perhaps you would care to come and
demonstrate with your heavy duty tool on my veggie plot!

Come and try it out on MY veggie plot!!!

Pam in Bristol